Owb brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh_var MTR is spot on. My buddy has a CB within 75' of his house with thrmopex and he is losing @ 5 degrees. I on the other hand didn't take my own advice. I'm heating a big house and outbuilding and am 125' away from both. I've got @ 250' of homemade insulated pipe in the ground at 3' deep and I'm afraid to see how much my temp is dropping. Oh well at least i love cutting wood

Going into year five with a Portage and Main. Very happy so far.

Resurrecting this from the past. Are you still satisfied with your Portage and Main? Where did you find a dealer? I have requested online dealer info but haven't heard back yet. What model do you have? Any additional water storage added to yours? Any one else please chime in. I am considering an ultimizer before the new epa regs go in. I had a central boiler 5036 in the house we sold but looking for something that MAY be more efficient.

I found my dealer in Blanchardville, Wi. His name is Larry. Mine is model ML 36 but has been discontinued and replaced by another model. I don't have any additional water storage but I'm sure it would help with efficientcy. I heat 2 houses with average insulation to 72-76 degrees. It keeps up fine even at -25 although I had to feed it every 8 hours when its that cold. Usually twice a day is more than enough. This is season 6 and still no issues.

cb is by far the biggest boiler manufacturer out there, hence they sell the most stoves. every owb owner out there loves their unit as long as its not a lemon. i personally would want a double welded firebox, and the thicker the better. this company sells fireboxes with 1/2 inch thick double welded fireboxes. http://tennesseeoutdoorfurnace.com/being a welder myself, any double welded 1/2 inch thick firebox will last twice as long as any cb on the market, imo. i've heard ppl say you cant transfer heat thru a 1/2 inch thick firebox but i also heard 1/16 of an inch of creosote will insulate better than 1/2 inch thick steel.

I found my dealer in Blanchardville, Wi. His name is Larry. Mine is model ML 36 but has been discontinued and replaced by another model. I don't have any additional water storage but I'm sure it would help with efficientcy. I heat 2 houses with average insulation to 72-76 degrees. It keeps up fine even at -25 although I had to feed it every 8 hours when its that cold. Usually twice a day is more than enough. This is season 6 and still no issues.

Can't seem to be able to google anything there with this info. Do you remember the whole company name? Thanks.

Heatmor!....I have 8 years on mine and still love it.
Watch you line sizes and make sure they have great insulation and O2 barrier.

On my 8th year with a portage & main - ml 36. No issues other than replacement of the thermostat on year 5.
Have a 100 foot run of thermopex and lose about one degree C in -40c. Thermopex is down about 4.5 feet.
Get 12 hour burn times in -40c
Overall very happy with the boiler.
Just the fact that 3600+ sq feet will consume 20+ cord in a avg winter, but that is northern canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a model 400 Heatmor. New in 1997, it has run every year as the main heat source for my old 2 story 1800 sq. ft home and 2500 sq. ft shop. I keep the shop at 38 unless I am working in it which is about 5 nights a week. I have had no trouble with the stove with the exception of 2 draft fans and 1 thermostat. But in 16 years I can't complain. I burn scrap pallet wood mostly and God knows I have ran a bunch through it.

Last season the scrap nails brought in 375.00 in scrap money and almost paid for my 550.00 in propane that I use yearly for the hot water heater and beginning of heating season and end of season furnace cost. I have the add on hot water heater attachment and it does a good job. Burning scrap wood gives you a lesson in creosote and it' s characteristics but it's worth it. I do supplement big wood when it gets below 0 or the wind is bad like last winter. Its 6 feet from my shop and about 60 feet from my house.

I used Kytec tubing inside of insulseal insulated tube. Only lose about 5 degrees from the stove to the house. I agree make sure you insulate well.

Anyone else with dealer info for portage and main around northwestern Illinois-northeastern Iowa? Can't get anyone to respond at their website(been a week) and the guy cheesecutter gave me the number doesn't answer the phone either. Perhaps I should just get this out of my head!

call this guy, he will return your calls and has more info than most ppl can remember. charlie 269-214-8747

Finally received a response from one of the dealers close to me. A BL3444 would run $9,700.00 picked up at his shop. I asked about the new EPA rules coming down and he said that he hasn't found anyone that can tell him for sure whether his inventory will not be able to be sold or whether just no more manufactured that won't meet the new standards after Jan. 15th. Kind of frustrating, not knowing if I should by one now or wait until the house gets going in 5 months. I really don't think I would ever get checked here, just wondering about being able to purchase one after the date.

That is why I bought my Portage and Main 28-40 this year. I had a Woodmaster for fourteen year. I bought it used, and this year it was twenty years old. I did research on different boilers and liked what I saw about Portage and Main. One thing about it is modular. The bottom of the boiler is reinforced fire brick. So you can replace a part instead all the boiler. Its been cold here in Michigan and so far the boiler is doing a great job.

Yeah temps have been crazy for this time of year haven't they, ijon? 11° yesterday morning lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back