Climbing vs bucket which is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrettgirvin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I grew up around a bucket truck and nothing else. The pops had no interest in climbing what so ever. I've always wondered is there a reason why some guys like buckets over climbing or vise versa. I mean climbing no fuel less wear and tear on equipment more versatile. No worrying about sinking into ground. The reason why I'm asking is i either have to buy a bucket or climbing gear. I'm 16 so I got plenty of years left im looking to start my own business. My dad had a reputable tree care business. He passed away in 2012 from that dang thing called cancer. I'm aware I'm young. You all may think I'm dumb but this is what I want to make of my life it's the only thing. And if climbing should I buy a kit or individual stuff. Oh and don't just criticize me i want real honest answers no bullcrap. Please help me figure all this out. In advance thank you.

Garrett Girvin

buy both....but buy the bucket first to make money while you learn to climb. Being a good climber takes time, and your gonna be worthless at first. so unless you got time to learn, and im guessing you do, cause your only 16. I would buy a kit. Ive already asked this before. Unfortunately i havent been able to buy my kit yet.

just my 2 pesos....

You sound like a damn tuff kid. I would say learn to climb. You will get places people with a truck can't. When you earn enough $$$ to buy a bucket go ahead and do it. Then you will be able to do both. Stick to your guns, be tough, learn at every corner and you will be OK.

I've done all my schooling and don't even have my license yet I got all the saws 441 200t 660 im good on them I have been around everything but climbing. And I've seen the kits I've heard you don't use Spurs for anything but removal so what kit should I buy I have no idea. There is so many

Garrett Girvin

You sound like a damn tuff kid. I would say learn to climb. You will get places people with a truck can't. When you earn enough $$$ to buy a bucket go ahead and do it. Then you will be able to do both. Stick to your guns, be tough, learn at every corner and you will be OK.
This is all I've ever wanted to do i used to cry when I had to go to school I wanted to go to work with my pops I miss that man like you wouldn't believe. And I mean I have worked and saved all my money up for this I wanna accomplish it. I just don't know where to start. Like a rope kit or spur kit. Fill me in if you could.

Garrett Girvin

i figured it all out and what i come up with was to buy a rope climbing kit and add the spurs to it. it was the cheapest way to go.

All this stuff is so damn confusing like wtf is this .... Whatever for I've searched everywhere and everybody always says leave it to the adults. Well what's going to happen when yall get too old to climb. Ya somebody else has to learn too

Garrett Girvin

Oh buddy. You have a long hard road. I feel your pain. You sound determined enough to get it done. If your ever in montucky your welcome to come climb with us. No bucket, no fancy ****. Just motivated men making a living . night kid, I've got a daughter to tend to.
Have a good one man I'll probably encounter you in one of these again. Thanks for your help. And I understand and I'm dedicated I'm putting my head to it and I ain't stopping. Everybody thinks I'm crazy and I'm going to work myself to death but hey it's my life. Somebody has to make up for all the people who don't work in this country

Garrett Girvin

People don't understand sometimes. I've had 3 different tree services come and ask me to work for them because they have seen how much of a work ethic I have. I may be only 16 but I'm not any normal 16 year old. I don't like video games I always have to be outside. I'd rather be working than hanging with friends. It's just the way I am.

Garrett Girvin

Another thing does climbing vs bucket have any effect on insurance. I am looking to get all my stuff around. Before I go buy insurance when I'm not working. And how do you go about that.

Garrett Girvin

will one of those tree services be able to teach you the ropes in climbing? I totaly understant if you dont wanna work for anyone else.... Youtube can help you get an idea of what to do, how to do it, and what not to do...and there fun to watch!

Well the one he just had a accident on the jobsite plus he is getting old so he is just going to sell rumor has it. The other has a crew that only climbs but I'm pretty sure they are full and the other mainly does lot clearings and he wants me to go bid and grind stumps for him.

Garrett Girvin

I'm going to tell you that you need to go and work for some other companies t and climb for them and get that experience in. I started my own company when I was 18 and by some of the statements you have made you are Not ready to run your own company by any means it takes a lot more than just climbing and rigging knowledge. Start with another company in your area and go from there.

Latest posts

Back