It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only take delivery NIB period. Dry as a bone but you know they get fired at the factory. No the dealer doesn't tune my saws in fact I tune theirs. This isn't a contest, friend we all can learn from each other's experiences. That shiny nikasil could just be reflection from your flash through the opposite port, but that's what the early 441 I had that burned a P&C in the first five hours looked like just like yours.

I'm not saying it is impossible, but I call BS. A bone dry saw will not pop on the first pull let alone idle. I have probably bought more NIB saws than most people who don't do this for a living or own a dealer and I would consider 7 pulls perfectly normal. Just picked up a new 441cm today in fact and it was closer to 10 till it was running. Maybe I should take it back...I guess it's gonna blow up on me now.

I know pictures can be decieving but the roof of the intake looks a lot more squared off than the floor?

I only take delivery NIB period. Dry as a bone but you know they get fired at the factory. No the dealer doesn't tune my saws in fact I tune theirs. This isn't a contest, friend we all can learn from each other's experiences. That shiny nikasil could just be reflection from your flash through the opposite port, but that's what the early 441 I had that burned a P&C in the first five hours looked like just like yours.

Did you do the bar off calibration?
I just put it back together. I did not have the carb off, so the lines were still full of fuel. It started and idled on the first pull. Macro photography is not kind. They make things look MUCH worse than they are to the naked eye. Both the piston and cylinder look perfect in person. As mentioned above, it is cross hatching that is "wearing in". Both the P&C are perfectly smooth and defect free. I'll keep an eye on it though. It's back together bone stock for it's maiden voyage:rock:

check out my 661 thread, I posted pics of it wrapped with a wide clutch cover and sweet looking spikes
Those spikes are awesome! I'm not a fan of full wraps. If I keep this saw, it will be used for stumping on occasion. The dual dawgs and roller chain catcher I love though.

And what was the out the door price???
I bought it with a 36" B&C. $1,279 with 6.75% tax. I will not be keeping a 36" bar on it though. It's still too tip heavy even with the ES Light bar on it. I'll have to pick up a 32" ES Light, or pull the one from my 064. I guess that's what we get for it not being a cinder block!

Cool thread Bradley....lf for whatever reason you had to make a choice between owning a 390xp vs ms661 which would you rather own? l always trust Brad's opinion of a saw to be based on the saws merits rather than badge. lts great to see Stihl has finally taken that dreadfully outdated 660 off the shelf and replaced it with a saw full of the latest and greatest. Not that the 660 was a 'bad' saw quite the opposite actually thats why they ran with it for 30+ odd years but with rubber av no mtronic, no strato to beat the epa's regs the 660 was doomed to be a distant memory. This 661 looks like a 90cc ms261....which is good. On a side note l like saws and have a few of them & the only one l have owned/ran that starts first pull is a 23cc TH Makita(echo) that has a primer bulb. lf this saw heads ends up in the same place as the tripple nickel...shoot me a pm.

Cool thread Bradley....lf for whatever reason you had to make a choice between owning a 390xp vs ms661 which would you rather own? l always trust Brad's opinion of a saw to be based on the saws merits rather than badge. lts great to see Stihl has finally taken that dreadfully outdated 660 off the shelf and replaced it with a saw full of the latest and greatest. Not that the 660 was a 'bad' saw quite the opposite actually thats why they ran with it for 30+ odd years but with rubber av no mtronic, no strato to beat the epa's regs the 660 was doomed to be a distant memory. This 661 looks like a 90cc ms261....which is good. On a side note l like saws and have a few of them & the only one l have owned/ran that starts first pull is a 23cc TH Makita(echo) that has a primer bulb. lf this saw heads ends up in the same place as the tripple nickel...shoot me a pm.
Although a Stihl guy at heart, I SERIOUSLY like my 390XP. I'm actually hoping this will replace the 395XP. That's a pretty tall order. In order to do that, it's going to have to make some serious stumping power. I will certainly call it like I see it. It looks like I've got some big wood lined up to try it out in.

check out my 661 thread, I posted pics of it wrapped with a wide clutch cover and sweet looking spikes
PNs on those spikes are 1144 664 0502 and 1144 664 0503.

MS661%20Dawgs-L.jpg

So I'm studying the IPL and find that there a standard carbed MS661, not a MS661C. Where is this saw available? Just curious as I'd not heard of it before. Another point of interest, I see no HO oiler option. Hopefully, that means it oils very well.

Stihl mechanic said that carb is available in Europe...would be nice to try one.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back