The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good review. Were you able to feel and allow the twist when you got successful good splits? I wasn't getting the bad vibrations that much when this happened. Of course, I still can't swing very hard yet either, just recently was able to go back to splitting.

I still like his idea. Would rather the heavier version though at around a hundred bucks. But...getting by with what I got now.

Well done @maul ratt I think your review validates what others have said.

One question. Did you find that the vibration through the handle was worse on the swings when the wood did not split?
Yes, I agree that the vibration was worse when it didn't go through the wood. This can be seen at 5:55 in my video, and several other times when it didn't go in very far. I was surprised as how much it sticks and the rocking action it takes to get it out. Has anyone tried the original one? I wonder how it compares...

Leveraxe will be headed to @Derf next week.

As a heads up there is nobody on deck after Derf to test the axe (at least until spring when GTG's start up again). If you are interested please post up or send me a PM.

Haven't gone through this whole thread yet. Can this thing split sweetgum? I have a large supply of it sitting in the woods. I'll gladly scrounge it up this weekend if this axe can split the rounds.

Haven't gone through this whole thread yet. Can this thing split sweetgum? I have a large supply of it sitting in the woods. I'll gladly scrounge it up this weekend if this axe can split the rounds.

err..it might if you were Conan's big brother...but then you would bust the handle

In other words...nope. Hand splitting sweetgum..somewhat doable after you let it sit a loooong time and get good and checked on the ends and use a big sharp maul or heavy sledge and multiple wedges and don't miss the natural cracks.

I think a fair consensus so far is, decent enough for straight grained wood, and maybe cut shortish, but not 250 bucks worth of decent enough.

Sweetgum is right up there in twisted stringy sucks to split wood. Fair to middling firewood in a stove, call it midgrade, not good for fireplaces.

err..it might if you were Conan's big brother...but then you would bust the handle

In other words...nope. Hand splitting sweetgum..somewhat doable after you let it sit a loooong time and get good and checked on the ends and use a big sharp maul or heavy sledge and multiple wedges and don't miss the natural cracks.

I think a fair consensus so far is, decent enough for straight grained wood, and maybe cut shortish, but not 250 bucks worth of decent enough.

Sweetgum is right up there in twisted stringy sucks to split wood. Fair to middling firewood in a stove, call it midgrade, not good for fireplaces.

Damn, too bad. I want to fill my yard up with drying firewood. Thought it would be great to borrow a tool to split all the sweetgum.

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving buddy. Hope you had enough to eat.

Damn, too bad. I want to fill my yard up with drying firewood. Thought it would be great to borrow a tool to split all the sweetgum.

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving buddy. Hope you had enough to eat.
If you do choose to give it a try, it's headed to southern upstate NY next and could pass it on to you from there.

No experience with gum here.

Zog, what's worse to split? Gum or elm?

Back