Property managenent/real estate cos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmasontreeservice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would making a list of local prop management company's and real estate company's addresses & sending them post cards of my business be a good idea or a waste of money/time?

Has anyone tryed this and what success/contracts have you landed?

It's hit and miss at best. An awful high percentage of them are bottom dwellers. Slow pay, no pay, or they want it done unrealisticly cheap. I'm not saying don't do it. Only advising you that it may take a bit of work to "weed out" the jackholes.

I hooked up briefly last year with a management company with a call center in India. They really were clueless about winter and snow. We had 3" of snow on the ground and they insisted that the grass HAD to be cut as part of the initial service. Things didn't get much better before they wore out my patience for stupid.

The mentality of most of these companies is essentially "do what I want, for what I want to pay or someone else will". I've had better luck with local brokers and investors who recognize their need.

Talked to a company out of MI, auto zone lot for snow clearing. They got the bid and are now looking locals to service. Gives a max # for the season- politely declined. You could blow their max # in one or two big storms requiring multiple clearings. plus it is 15 miles from my other accounts & shop, but close to home, could hit first and last , but not between. other accounts all clusterd right by shop.

Talked to a company out of MI, auto zone lot for snow clearing. They got the bid and are now looking locals to service. Gives a max # for the season- politely declined. You could blow their max # in one or two big storms requiring multiple clearings. plus it is 15 miles from my other accounts & shop, but close to home, could hit first and last , but not between. other accounts all clusterd right by shop.

Careful with the national service providers, a whole lot of small plow co's are consistently getting screwed by these guys. Making excuse after exceuse on why you can't get paid. Check plowsite to see, I've had 2 calls from them just today. F them.

Mgmt co's range from good to bad just like every other customer. They try to get the best price to make themselves look good to their clients. Some just like to get it done and pay OK, others will drag out payment giving you more work but withholding payment from previous jobs until you do the next......had to threaten to sue one of the larger co's here to get back pay from almost a year before, not much $$$ but I wasn't letting them keep my $$$$

We have two major PM companies that provide a steady flow of work. If you are reliable, bid fair, and do a little ass kissing they will keep you busy.

Would making a list of local prop management company's and real estate company's addresses & sending them post cards of my business be a good idea or a waste of money/time?

Couple things here: You mentioned local, which I think is the Key.. If they are local, you need to start a personal relationship with the manager in charge. Don't send him a postcard...Drop by the office with some sporting event tickets and your business card or offer to take them to a lunch meeting to sell yourself. Don't be desparate needing work tomorrow, think future and long term. Offer excellent customer service above everything else. Many of these people don't have time to jack around, and they just want **** done right, when they want it done.

I've gotten to where I just about won't bother doing an estimate if a PM company is involved. I've gotten a lot of run around and no work from them. They probably just go through the list of tree services in the yellow pages and pick the cheapest one.

Sell yourself as the best and get rid of any reference to value unless it is in reference to paying more for better results. You dont want business from the companies trying to get things done for cheaper than what they already getting.

I think it is a good idea. Anything to get more recognition. In regards to real estate companies, I have gotten several jobs in my area from various ones, but usually its from them mentioning my business to their clients. I think its more about getting your name out there than specifically trying to solicit work from larger companies. The more people that you know about you the better. And if your post card is well done (do you have a logo? If not get one), it is a great chance to present yourself in a professional manner.

In my experience real estates have not much to offer however I get consistent work from one Strata Management Company and this thread reminds me that I need to chase up more of them for my portfolio of clients. I offer a somewhat trimmed down rate but the advantages are well worth it.

Back