Whats the best way to get comfortable up high in the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I only have 25-30 hours of climbing experience. I climb part time. I was wondering if any of you guys have trouble with your forearms cramping up? Especially during snap cuts when you've climbing for an hour or two? I also was wondering if anyone gets a little Elvis leg going whenever your calf twitches? What are these things caused by?
That's from being out of shape and stress.

It's partly from being out of shape and stress, it's also partly diet. Less energy drinks, more water and healthier foods. Make sure you're getting enough magnesium if you're prone to cramping.

The other thing is work positioning, and using the least energy possible. Use two tie in points (rope and lanyard) so you're not straining, and try to rest when your cutting. Work close to yourself, don't run your saw one handed at arms length. Two hands and working close will wear you out a lot less.

Having said that, if you're having a big day, 8-10 hours in the tree and blocking down with big saws the. You're gonna feel the burn. We've all been there.

After 18 years in this I still get uncomfortable at times. We all have those days. It happens maybe twice a year where it just seems like I gotta fight for every cut and positioning. On those days I hang out and relax for a few minutes and return to the task.

Latest posts

Back