Off to the woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well folks I am off to the woods to hopefully get a BUNCH of wood cut. I've been busier than hell this fall but it looks like I have a weekend off before the holidays kick in and screw everything up. I pretty much have the trees located and they are ready to drop, cut, maybe split, and load.
Most of the ash trees are pretty big so likely just drag my splitter along to save my back. I'm hopin to put six loads in over two days but we'll see. Threw in the last of my dry wood last night so these trees are going straight to the boiler. ( I love the ash beetle)(just kiddin)

Well I guess PATHETIC is the word for yesterday. Only got 2 loads put in. hahahaha
That has always been my average for a day but I was hoping for 3. We'll see if I can get 3 done today. I have some pics but I gotta get them from phone to here so That may take a day or so.

Here is one of the trees.

Looks good to me! Nice service truck, too.

What I would like to see, and I mentioned it in another thread, is a splitter built into a decent wood hauling trailer. Off the back, so you can split, push and toss the wood right into the trailer.

Aim, to get maximum output done I try to stay productive. I use all the tools I have to make it easier on my body. And when I'm doing a job I like to stay at it. A picture says a 1000 words so here is my take.
It appears that you cut a few rounds and then split those few rounds, then maybe loads those few splits and then maybe drive those splits to the house. I would run the saw until it was empty of fuel at least. It doesn't seem like much but it does add up when you are trying to get a lot done in a short time.
I would do it a little different. I would cut the whole tree into rounds then split the whole pile then load it and then haul it home. One reason for this is the loss of time, and effort starting and restarting the saw. I always set my saw on a block to save that littler extra bit of bending over. It all adds up. My wife says I have to do everything in a system because I come from a factory line where everything has to be done on time and as efficient as possible. She also says I take the fun out of everything. If you look at my firewood setup you would see that see is right.
When I go to the bush now I do the physical stuff 1st and finish out the work time doing something easy like just loading with the tractor and haul a few loads home. Body seems to like it more that way.
I used to cut some down, haul some home, cut some into rounds, split some, etc. Now I try to just do one complete part of the process at a time to (in my mind anyway) maximize production.
That being said sometimes it's also nice to do a variety and it makes the whole job more enjoyable.
2/3s of this pile was cut down and hauled home to this pile in 2 really short work days. Some of these are 22" across. Body was too sore to do much so I cut them down, cut them into 12', loaded them up and hauled them home.
The 2nd pic will be the next step in my process. Then the next step is to split it.
IMG_00001690.jpg
IMG_00001638.jpg

And then I have days like today. I was planning to split wood all day. My wife had other plans, so because I like to sleep with both eyes closed I did what she wanted. The only wood I cut today was to cut up 8 old skids just to get rid of them. Then I repiled a ton of rice coal that I will likely never use. Now I'm sitting at the puter cause my chest and back is telling me I'm an idiot. So that pile of rounds is still sitting there. So much for big plans.

And then I have days like today. I was planning to split wood all day. My wife had other plans, so because I like to sleep with both eyes closed I did what she wanted. The only wood I cut today was to cut up 8 old skids just to get rid of them. Then I repiled a ton of rice coal that I will likely never use. Now I'm sitting at the puter cause my chest and back is telling me I'm an idiot. So that pile of rounds is still sitting there. So much for big plans.
don't be so hard on yourself cant, theres more time feller for those rounds to sit altogether, 'fore too long be all halfs anyways, happy wife happy life? least yer not in dis boot, 9she jumped out again), switchin things up...so you got any borers to show?

Well I guess PATHETIC is the word for yesterday. Only got 2 loads put in. hahahaha
That has always been my average for a day but I was hoping for 3. We'll see if I can get 3 done today. I have some pics but I gotta get them from phone to here so That may take a day or so.
ya but yer burnin wood we can only dream of here, pine fir and a little birch
fruitwood if an orchard is pulled

Well I got 4 loads in this weekend. Didn't hit my goal but happy enough anyways. For max production I should have whacked away on the zillion 10" or less stuff that doesn't need split but I just have this thing for the bigger stuff. (I think I just love watching the big stuff fall)
Probably could have gotten another load today but I had a 30 pack of Natural Light screamin my name that I just had to crack open!

This is the first year I cut early. Gotta say its a great feeling to have oak, elm and hickory piled up and the first part of winter wasn't near as tough as they predicted. We're going to keep cutting till the snow won't let us, can always use it next year.

I try to do things as efficiently as possible but honestly my body doesn't like a lot of repetition. Bent over cutting block after block tears me up. I need up and down, over and up, moving all around, etc, etc.
I'm only 46 and as far as I'm concerned tougher than a lot of people but I have been DAMN hard on myself in 28+ years in construction. The body just doesn't like over and over of the same thing any more.

Latest posts

Back