Preservation Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use a foot to inch of trunk DBH. Other words, a fifteen inch DBH tree would have a TPZ radius of fifteen feet.

I'd say 15'. Looks like the house will be built on the opposite side of the lean? If the house is to be built on the side of the lean then some weight reduction of 2nd or 3rd order limbs might be prudent depending on form.

Jeff, there were 2 questions in the post. Pay attention. :sweet:
I didn't measure it; seeing it for the first time today. The tree is the X to the right, inside of the screened porch.
1' per inch dbh is a common starting point, but needs adjustments due to species, condition, site, etc. Lean affects TPZ, as the roots on the tension side (yes where the house is going)
Preservation Question.jpg are generally bigger. So how far do they have to move the house to keep the tree?

What are the BRL's for the site? If you could shift the house 20' or more that would be good. What grade changes will happen around the tree? How will the CRZ be protected during construction? What about future landscaping, hardscaping and outdoor lighting? Can the porch be built on pier and beam footings?

I'll put my million dollar home anywhere I want and take the tree down, protecting my investment. From the pictures, the tree has some issues and has certainly been hacked at over the years. Why have that looming over my new home? Down it comes and focus would be put toward the other oaks on the property that aren't a danger to the house.

Well the drawing was wrong; the tree was actually to the left, up against the foundation. So the house will be moved 35' to the north (down, in the picture). This will put the continuous foundation ~20' away from the trunk. Ridgetop soils have hardpan, but enough rockiness so i think big roots go deep.
What are the BRL's for the site? BRL?
No grade changes will happen around the tree. Zale yes the porch can be built on pier and beam footings. Good questions!

cape, it's never been climbed or pruned; not sure what you think you are seeing there. The people are not idiots; they do not want to kill such an asset, and understand their big oaks on both sides are worth the investment for saving, but thanks for your input. :(

Jeff, there were 2 questions in the post. Pay attention. :sweet:
I didn't measure it; seeing it for the first time today. The tree is the X to the right, inside of the screened porch.
1' per inch dbh is a common starting point, but needs adjustments due to species, condition, site, etc. Lean affects TPZ, as the roots on the tension side (yes where the house is going)
View attachment 387347 are generally bigger. So how far do they have to move the house to keep the tree?

I did not read the post, I just figured you were trying save all the trees'
Jeff :)

I was talking about the tree in the picture.
12j.jpg
uk3.jpg

I'll put my million dollar home anywhere I want and take the tree down, protecting my investment. From the pictures, the tree has some issues and has certainly been hacked at over the years. Why have that looming over my new home? Down it comes and focus would be put toward the other oaks on the property that aren't a danger to the house.

In many municipalities around here, you would be required to retain the tree or you wouldn't get your building design permit approved. I worked with a builder who had to redesign a house to fit it on the lot and retain a large fir tree. It was a $2 million + house on a ~66' lot.

BRL; fancy TLA for 'setback'. And o yeah they have lots of room to move the house. Fortunately, they also have the sense to look more closely at the concept of 'danger', and not jerk their knees at the sight of a big tree.

Back