The Redundant Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

Did this tree last week. I've seen quite a few lightning struck trees over the years but this was the most impressive by far. It literally exploded. Whole yard and neighbors yard 15' deep in limbs, completely limbed itself! The trunk exploded, chunks weighing 100lbs blown 2 yards away. There was no wind at the time. First time in a while I've looked at a tree and said "wow" out loud.

Sounds interesting Robin. How windy does it get at the cabin on the mountain? I miss the wind sometimes.

At my home it gets pretty windy......my house is on the ENE side of the mountain so it gets hammered pretty good in a Nor' easter............on the island, the cabin is right on the water in a harbor that faces WSW.....though very protected from the heavy storm winds and seas (NE & SE) it is open and very exposed to heavy westerlys..........nothing to be sitting in the kitchen and when waves break on the ledge the camp sits on the spray hits the windows like someone throwing a 5 gal pail of water at the window......I've told a number of people about that and they nod and smile...but out of all the people who have been out there when this happens......not one person has remained seated....everybody jumps the first couple times....LOL!!

As you can see in these pics. this is no storm...just a clear. nice, blustery fall day. However I have, two or three times, over the years opened up the camp in the spring and had to pick window glass and seaweed out of the kitchen sink.......

1436.JPG 1437.JPG 1439.JPG 1440.JPG 1442.JPG

Robin, I hope you won't be offended if I don't drop by for a visit. Sounds like that wind would blow the mustard right off a hotdog. Lol
At my home it gets pretty windy......my house is on the ENE side of the mountain so it gets hammered pretty good in a Nor' easter............on the island, the cabin is right on the water in a harbor that faces WSW.....though very protected from the heavy storm winds and seas (NE & SE) it is open and very exposed to heavy westerlys..........nothing to be sitting in the kitchen and when waves break on the ledge the camp sits on the spray hits the windows like someone throwing a 5 gal pail of water at the window......I've told a number of people about that and they nod and smile...but out of all the people who have been out there when this happens......not one person has remained seated....everybody jumps the first couple times....LOL!!

As you can see in these pics. this is no storm...just a clear. nice, blustery fall day. However I have, two or three times, over the years opened up the camp in the spring and had to pick window glass and seaweed out of the kitchen sink.......

View attachment 387101 View attachment 387102 View attachment 387103 View attachment 387104 View attachment 387105

Robin, I hope you won't be offended if I don't drop by for a visit. Sounds like that wind would blow the mustard right off a hotdog. Lol

Just the way it is on "The Rockbound Coast of Maine"......can be really nice......can be really crappy.....not much to stop the wind when you're offshore...has it's way with you.....

Just the way it is on "The Rockbound Coast of Maine"......can be really nice......can be really crappy.....not much to stop the wind when you're offshore...has it's way with you.....[/QUOTE

I have never been on the East coast, but love to sit on the Wa, Or, coasts in the winter and watch the storms come in. Of course the storms here are nothing like you get on the East coast.

The Orygun coast gets beat pretty bad, Washington gets it's share, don't hear much about it because it is lightly populated.
I live in Crescent City, we are exposed and kinda stick out into the ocean. There is a local weather effect caused by Cape Mendocino and the King Range which rises right off the ocean, just South of the Cape.
Storm system fronts headed North and East get jammed up and spin off squalls, lots of squalls, lines of squalls, clumps of squalls.
I often check the radar before heading out, see if I can travel in between the bastards.

Current Sat feed
http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/alternative.php?wfo=eka&area=nw&type=wv&size=4
current doppler
http://www.wunderground.com/radar/r....val=1&setprefs.7.key=RADSMO&setprefs.7.val=1

The squalls on the Oregon coast are what I like too watch. Now this is of course from a seaside motel room:). We usually go to Lincoln City, or Cannon Beach. Nice sitting in room with fire going watching the incoming squalls.

Latest posts

Back