Best chain grinding angles on Stihl RS ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So far i am having a hard time duplicating the sharpness of factory Stihl RS. That stuff is just really sharp!!! I am using the recommended angles on the USG. Anyone have any pointers or better angles to use?

I bought a new loop of RS the other day and I noticed the hook angle was really sharp. It is certainly not the common 60 degrees.

As sharp as it is, I have little hope of the edge holding more than just a few cuts.

When it dulls, I'll re-sharpen at 30-60-10 on my Oregon 511A grinder and go on with cutting wood.

I have found factory RS to hold up rather well. Generally I would say better than my sharpened angles. Dare i say the hook actually seems to keep cutting vs the less hooked top plate seems to get beat up and dull faster?

The RS that I sent in for the "friendly chain competition" @ Hedges' was 30/55/5 off the roll
On my 511a I use 30/55/0 and set rakers to .030 on a real strong saw or .025 for a normal saw (depending on bar length)

On my own chain ........... if its full chisel (RS or PS) - there is nothing like square filed, but with semi (RM) I stick with 30/55/0

That's some LARGE hook for round, what height are the rakers ?
rakers untouched off the roll
I was just playing with angles ,never tried it in a log ,that was a chunk of chain left over off the end of the roll

It felt real sharp to the touch though

what wheel did you use....I remember you posting this before and I tried to replicate it but I don't think it came out right because I didn't use the same wheel.
it is a pretty thin wheel that came with the usg ,this is only image i have that has a wheel shot ,not very good though ,it is a lot thinner than the oregon wheels ,and does not plug up with black stuff ,hardly needs dressed ,and does not heat the cutters up very bad at all stihl grinder usg 031.jpg

How does this chain cut? Kind of looks like it would git-r-dun...Also, what type of wood(species) are you cutting?
i never tried this in wood ,was just messing around with different angles on the grinder one night ,i have a silvey that does square chain ,so my chains are all square ,that cutter did feel very sharp to the touch though ,with the amount of hook it may have been grabby though just looking at it

it is a pretty thin wheel that came with the usg ,this is only image i have that has a wheel shot ,not very good though ,it is a lot thinner than the oregon wheels ,and does not plug up with black stuff ,hardly needs dressed ,and does not heat the cutters up very bad at all View attachment 387722
I'm willing to bet that is the wheel for 1/4 and 3/8 picco. What are the last four numbers on the part number on it? 7010 is the wheel for standard 3/8 and .325, 7013 is for 3/8 and 1/4 picco.

I use three different wheels for the usg depending on the tooth. Just how I was taught. I tried the same angles that trx250r180 posted above and cut with it...it cut pretty good but seemed to dull a little quicker than I'd like. I should try them again and make sure I use the picco wheel.

When I used RS, I was able to duplicate factory sharpness with a 12v hand held sharpener w/a 7/32 diamond stone (the stones that come with the sharpener are crap, I think I used EZE lap). The guide on it makes it easy to duplicate the factory 30 degree angle, and with RS do not keep the cutter level, s/b a little incline. I just follow the factory angles.

They are not expensive, and you will cut your sharpening time in half. Works very well with a stump vice. Lock the chain than do 3 or 4 teeth on left, then the same # on rt, then unlock the chain an move it and repeat till done. Goes fast.

You will also be glad you got the grinder when you rock the chain, cleans it up much faster than by hand.

did some chain testing yesterday. The chains are -

Factory RS
RS resharpened with USG 30/40/10
RSLH (sq grd half skip) converted to RS H (rapid super/round ground half skip) with USG 30/40/10

all 3 chains have done the same amount of cuts before this test. Approx 15 ea.
Saw 661R, bar tsumura 36", oiler at max

Wood - Cherry or Rock Elm one of the two....it's hard as a rock and now it's frozen. About 15 out yesterday.
factory RS

RS resharpened USG 30/40/10 -

RS "H" converted from RSLH resharpened USG 30/40/10 ...you'll have to excuse my language at the end

------------------------------------
New wood - willow and oak

factory RS

RS resharpened USG 30/40/10 -

RS "H" converted from RSLH resharpened USG 30/40/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGg_DABLZA

Times in Cherry -
factory RS - 33.7
resharp RS - 34.8
resharp RS "H" - 32.6

Times in willow oak
factory RS - 19.3 16.8