Can you fit a full cord in a pickup box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rack it way up high, have heavy duty shocks, oversize tires (at least 265's) , off-highway frame and springs, an 8' bed, and yes, you can get a cord packed into a pickup truck.

Make sure you get paid for that full cord of hardwood, and make sure that it is good firewood, ready to burn.

Off highway frame? Never seen that option on a class 1,2,or 3 truck?

265 tires, why. Many off the heaviest duty tires for carrying weight are only 215 -235 wide. Oversize tires typically have more flexible sidewalls and belts with less weight capacity(especially 15" rims) . It's the load range/plies not the width that gives tires weight capacity.

O. And trust me, the worst feeling in the world is your rear wheel with half an axle shaft passing you just as your about to go over a bridge. I park that wondering Wanda right there, called my boss and started singing a Johnny paycheck song!

Not sure what a class 1,2,3 truck is? The only ones that could possibly (not likely) lose an axle half is a half ton pu.

In my area when they go get scrap or wood there bumper hitch all most drag the highway I've saw hundreds of time that is over loaded 2 ton on a 150 pickup is not good.

You have made my point very clearly. It is rather easy to overload a pickup truck and destroy it while doing so.
I don't follow you?

My 2500hd (a "3/4 ton") is rated at 3400#s...that's a ton and a half. The designation means nothing...like tires, its all about the rating.

Most, if not all, duallies are rated over 5k (2-1/2 ton)...most cords of dry wood is under that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Not sure what a class 1,2,3 truck is? The only ones that could possibly (not likely) lose an axle half is a half ton pu.

I don't know why we call them half tons? Most are rated for 2000 #s, which is a full ton??? Even the dakota I had was rated for 2000. The 150 or 1500 refers to class 1
250/2500 class 2 and so on.

There are many 250/2500 3/4 tons out there with semi floating axles. Full floating axles are a available as options on 3/4 tons. The truck that lost the axle on me was a k20 Chevy with a semifloating 14 bolt rear end. Don't think your immune just because you have a 3/4 ton. Look at the axle.

But my class 1,2,3 comment was focused on a previous poster talking about off road frames, which simply doesn't exists. On class 7 and 8 trucks you can spec heavier duty and even doubled frames but not on small trucks.

Even a full-float axle can break...saw that on the diesel forums a couple times, overloaded with fifthwheel pin weight and a bad bump...axle breaks at the center chunk.

That's why some of the later Dodges went to a heavier duty housing on the 11.5"AAM.

I don't follow you?

My 2500hd (a "3/4 ton") is rated at 3400#s...that's a ton and a half. The designation means nothing...like tires, its all about the rating.

Most, if not all, duallies are rated over 5k (2-1/2 ton)...most cords of dry wood is under that.

My 450 power stoke is only rated at 16000 gross its weight is 10000 plus My 550 power stroke gross weight is 19000 it weights 12000 how can these 1/2 ton be safe going down the highway with 8 ft bed ith side boards higher than the cab safe. I mustbebuyingthe wrong trucks My 350 gmc gross weight 14000 it weights 9000 plus mty. My 250 gross weight 12000 it weights 9800 mty. My ten wheeler I don't know but I can haul 15 ton of gravel legally our grain trailers we run 44000 don't know there weight because all the trailers weight different

My 450 power stoke is only rated at 16000 gross its weight is 10000 plus My 550 power stroke gross weight is 19000 it weights 12000 how can these 1/2 ton be safe going down the highway with 8 ft bed ith side boards higher than the cab safe. I mustbebuyingthe wrong trucks My 350 gmc gross weight 14000 it weights 9000 plus mty. My 250 gross weight 12000 it weights 9800 mty. My ten wheeler I don't know but I can haul 15 ton of gravel legally our grain trailers we run 44000 don't know there weight because all the trailers weight different

Again, the designation on the door has nothing to do with the carrying capacity.

And your 250 doesn't weigh 9800...that's more than the GROSS WEIGHT of a fully loaded Dodge 2500 and a Silverado 2500hd. Better recheck that...

My 2012 Power stroke both fuel tanks full and me in it on every scales it weights 9800 lb give or take a couple of pounds. Less all the rock quarrys and elevators states scales are wrong which.

Is it a crew cab dually? Or maybe trucks have gotten heavier. I know they've added a lot of emissions & electronics. My 97 psd 4wd reg cab weighed around 7600. Same truck with a 460 was 6700.

My 2012 Power stroke both fuel tanks full and me in it on every scales it weights 9800 lb give or take a couple of pounds. Less all the rock quarrys and elevators states scales are wrong which.
I've owned a LOT of Dodge Cummins 2500 and a Silverado 2500, not one has ever weighed more than 6400#s. Seems that would be a waste of 3000#s when competing in a similar class/market?

Just ain't buying a stock F250 weighs 10k empty.

I just looked it up...a 2012 F250 (regardless of configuration) is a max GVW of 10k and a curb weight of about 7500 (crew cab/diesel)...that's from Ford's site. Even the SRW F350 is only 10500 GVW. That's more in line with all the others...

If you're scaling empty at 9800 pounds, you have 200#s of capacity left...hopefully you have a light saw.

Back on topic, while firewood is our interest; ever see the guys with loads of the small hay bales? That stuff ain't light and they stack it well over the cab.

I've owned a LOT of Dodge Cummins 2500 and a Silverado 2500, not one has ever weighed more than 6400#s. Seems that would be a waste of 3000#s when competing in a similar class/market?

Just ain't buying a stock F250 weighs 10k empty.

he says his F450 weighs 10k empty too, no way a 250 only weighs 200# less than a 450
my 04 Cummins 3500 CC SRW only weighs around #7600, GVW is #9900...

MVC-019F_2.JPG

MVC-020F_1.JPG

MVC-022F_1.JPG

These 3 loads ricked out at 3.5 cord. Without racks you basically have to have the tailgate down and stacked to get a cord without ricking the sides. Max I drive is about 5 miles on country roads and yes, you drive slow and plan ahead. This truck is a 1/2 ton with no helpers or airbags. Axle went out of it BEFORE I started using it as a wood truck at over 200000 miles. 300000 + on it now and axle is still okay. Low lock off road and always plan on brakes failing is my motto. Learned that from my previous job where we broke springs all the time. Even broke a frame on a 3/4 ton.

Probably hauled well over 400 cord with this truck so they will take more abuse than you think. I stay out of peoples way and local cops wave when we pass so it is all good. Highway or town driving, ah, no. ;) Most of my hauling is from farm to farm or on property. Extreme cold temps will also make things break quicker as steel isn't as strong then.

I never had a blowout with standard tires. had all kinds of issues with E rated or highers though. Where I used to work we had over 3 ton loads all day and never had an issue with tires. Bought 3 Cummins Dodges with Michelin E rated and half of them blew within 2 years till I told them I refused to drive till they replaced them. We did replace with generic bias ply and no more issues. Did we abuse them? Heck yeah, but the other tires got the same treatment and held up. Real world testing is more accurate to me than what the dealer says. Had Goodyear E Rated go as well.

MVC-019F_2.JPG

MVC-020F_1.JPG

MVC-022F_1.JPG

These 3 loads ricked out at 3.5 cord. Without racks you basically have to have the tailgate down and stacked to get a cord without ricking the sides. Max I drive is about 5 miles on country roads and yes, you drive slow and plan ahead. This truck is a 1/2 ton with no helpers or airbags. Axle went out of it BEFORE I started using it as a wood truck at over 200000 miles. 300000 + on it now and axle is still okay. Low lock off road and always plan on brakes failing is my motto. Learned that from my previous job where we broke springs all the time. Even broke a frame on a 3/4 ton.

Probably hauled well over 400 cord with this truck so they will take more abuse than you think. I stay out of peoples way and local cops wave when we pass so it is all good. Highway or town driving, ah, no. ;) Most of my hauling is from farm to farm or on property. Extreme cold temps will also make things break quicker as steel isn't as strong then.

I never had a blowout with standard tires. had all kinds of issues with E rated or highers though. Where I used to work we had over 3 ton loads all day and never had an issue with tires. Bought 3 Cummins Dodges with Michelin E rated and half of them blew within 2 years till I told them I refused to drive till they replaced them. We did replace with generic bias ply and no more issues. Did we abuse them? Heck yeah, but the other tires got the same treatment and held up. Real world testing is more accurate to me than what the dealer says. Had Goodyear E Rated go as well.
hope WS doesn't see this...or this will shortly be a bias vs. radial thread...we don't need another one:badpc:

Bought 3 Cummins Dodges with Michelin E rated and half of them blew within 2 years

I bought 12 E rated Mich tires too, and half of them blew out! My friend bought some Mich tires fro his wives car, 2 blew out. All of the ones I inspected had weak sidewalls... My friends wife, scraped a curb while parking and those are the ones that blew out on her car.

Anyway, it's NOT an "E" rated tire problem, it's an Mich problem... I will NEVER buy them again and I have 3 trucks that use "E" tires, (including a Cummins Dodge) no problems with other brands blowing out.

SR

I bought 12 E rated Mich tires too, and half of them blew out! My friend bought some Mich tires fro his wives car, 2 blew out. All of the ones I inspected had weak sidewalls... My friends wife, scraped a curb while parking and those are the ones that blew out on her car.

Anyway, it's NOT an "E" rated tire problem, it's an Mich problem... I will NEVER buy them again and I have 3 trucks that use "E" tires, (including a Cummins Dodge) no problems with other brands blowing out.

SR

Wish I could say the same. Here's a Goodyear on my driver 3/4 Dodge. Never been overloaded and this one delamed at 45 MPH. They ended up replacing the whole bedside and the funny thing was the tire never lost air. Just stayed attached and beat the trucks side till I could get pulled over. Even busted the taillight. Tire was 3 years old by the date code and had 3/4 tread left. Truck had not been heavily used offroad either.

MVC-015S_1.JPG

MVC-018S_26.JPG

I have Dunlop G rated on the 550 so we'll see how they do I guess.

Previous company owner also bought 6 new Michelins for their motorhome at the same time the got the first round of truck. That year while on vacation 3 of those blew and they were a different mold. I'm with you though, no Michelins for me...ever.

I guess what really puzzles me is why a tire that is DESIGNED for heavy weight, can't hold up to what normal tires seemingly can. My guess is maybe they are too stiff? as it always seems to be a belt shift problem.

It may also be something with the rubber as my driver car seems to have belt shifts now too. Last one I took in to get replaced and the guy at the counter told me I should bring the car in to have it aligned. I told him I'd pass because he'd just want to sell me a bunch of suspension parts and his tires don't outlast the tread anyway.

Yup, you did buy the wrong truck. For some years the 450 and 550 aren't rated for much over a 1 ton.

Latest posts

Back