My ghetto build wood trailer "Heap Hauler"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
got this trailer frame from work a few years ago and never really got around to doing anything with it. It cost me 100 bucks for the bare frame, one wheel, no lights and smashed fenders, with a title...

So fast forward to about a month ago and I started throwing some stuff I had laying around on it.. old wire grates for pallet racking that work threw out a few years back and I saved for a trailer floor. It was all built out of scrap and trips to the scrapyard. I had the 2x10's and 2x12's leftover from another project a few years back.

I traded a case of beer for two tires, and the other two (used) cost me 50 bucks. the angle iron was purchased at a local scrap yard for 25 cents a pound, along with a few other things. Lights cost me about 20 bucks. the brakes got rebuilt and new bearings installed. 12K lb GVW.

D57BF4BF-6448-4F3B-8869-5592D89E7885_zpsomzyhupb.jpg

A35A3315-C6F1-48D7-849B-94D63A70B851_zpsd91oowhf.jpg

739E0F92-C517-4B30-9E4A-4CCD66774422_zpskysc6iru.jpg

C83F9134-E700-49E8-8EBF-4CE94801A2B3_zpsimclopdg.jpg

CC47CFB0-8CD2-45FB-BCA0-1AD5CDC19DB5_zpsvj657reg.jpg

FE0C757C-BEF0-4FBF-8877-21F405D50767_zpsnpeghnxw.jpg

8AC95676-09CD-44B7-A50C-AD5A390D2FE7_zpszsr83eew.jpg

Nice, I like it. I need to find me some of those steel tubs. Did you bolt down the deck? I would really like brakes on my trailer. It don't look like your sidewalls bow at all, looks good.

The grating is welded together to itself, and sandwiched between the rails and corner posts. I didn't completely weld it to the frame as this is temporary until I can turn it into a dump trailer. The wood laying inside was some extra 2x6's and the original gate 2x12's The floor isn't going anywhere the way it is, the corners hold it tight front to back and side to side and the 2x10's hold it down. I want a dump trailer in a bad way, but not sure how to do it easy without totally cutting the whole frame apart, and without making it 7klbs empty. Right now it works for wood, but down the road I'd like to haul gravel, dirt, etc.

I agree 100% on a dump trailer. I picked up a hydraulic hoist, partial frame and cylinder, from an old wagon at auction for $45 this week. Tandem dumps going for around $5-6000 around here. I do have an old barge box wagon, all wood box, with hoist on it that I could revamp but lot of work and it is in decent shape yet. Really want all steel, with 8' wide x 16' long for hauling scrap appliances, skid loader, + like you said gravel and wood and such. But, that is going to be a beast and a whole lot of $$$$$

Nice trailer. How much firewood can you put on there.

I would have hinged the tailgate at the bottom. That way you could roll rounds up on it or drive a tractor or other equipment on the trailer. My $0.02.

It is a very nice build and you can't beat the price.

Nice trailer. How much firewood can you put on there.

I would have hinged the tailgate at the bottom. That way you could roll rounds up on it or drive a tractor or other equipment on the trailer. My $0.02.

It is a very nice build and you can't beat the price.

I thought about that, but I also though about unloading and having to stand 4' farther away to bend down and grab things. It's only 5' between fenders so I won't be hauling much equipment with the gate as a ramp, but I thought about adding a set of hinges on the bottom as well for more options. I might put another gate up front on one of the sides for versatility. I have a dedicated car trailer for logs and tractor hauling, and didn't want to add sides to it and beat it up hauling wood.

its 14.5' long, 65" wide, and 38" tall. If I stack it, it should be very close to 1.9-2 cord. Loose thrown like the picture showed was right around a cord and a half.

I agree 100% on a dump trailer. I picked up a hydraulic hoist, partial frame and cylinder, from an old wagon at auction for $45 this week. Tandem dumps going for around $5-6000 around here. I do have an old barge box wagon, all wood box, with hoist on it that I could revamp but lot of work and it is in decent shape yet. Really want all steel, with 8' wide x 16' long for hauling scrap appliances, skid loader, + like you said gravel and wood and such. But, that is going to be a beast and a whole lot of $$$$$

Yeah, prices for used dump trailers are about the same here. It'd be cheaper to buy an 80's 1 ton dump and pull the bed off of it, and at that point, I'd just use the dump truck. i was going to build a dump from the get go, but needed to throw this together quick to get a couple loads of wood from a buddies place a couple hours away and didn't feel like making 4 trips with just the truck.

Back