261C stalls at idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I got this used 261c to try out which fires up well enough, nice and responsive on the trigger, but sputters out and stalls while idling. Changed the plug, made sure fuel is fresh and still no better. Took it to the local dealer and the tech wants to hook it up to the diagnostic, meaning he can't figure it out either, but I'm not thrilled about paying the shop $69/hr plus parts when I always just buy the parts and do it myself.
No carb screws to play with and I'm kind of stumped. Any ideas, guys?

Thanks fastleo, that was one of my questions to the tech. I asked about the fuel hose and filter but he claimed that wouldn't be it. Says he needs to hook it up.
Which is why I'm a bit leery...

Factory reset? Thanks! I didn't know about that one. Will try it tomorrow after checking the carb, hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks Knobby57, air filter is clean and fuel is fresh mix 93 octane. Didn't know this 261c had summer and winter modes. How does one find out?

nasumu2u.jpg

Pull the air filter cover . The little orange slide on the right side . When you look behind the carb that area should not be open but be closed by the slider.
I can tell you a 441cm will stall all over and run like crap if your cutting at 5 deg f in Sumer mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always check the simple stuff before you go ripping things apart . I have had to adjust the needle on a few but they where off from the start . They do not need periodic adjustment
Also I found if your chain is really jumpy or grabby that will throw your auto tune out of wack. Fix the chain and reset the saw

So I got this used 261c to try out which fires up well enough, nice and responsive on the trigger, but sputters out and stalls while idling. Changed the plug, made sure fuel is fresh and still no better. Took it to the local dealer and the tech wants to hook it up to the diagnostic, meaning he can't figure it out either, but I'm not thrilled about paying the shop $69/hr plus parts when I always just buy the parts and do it myself.
No carb screws to play with and I'm kind of stumped. Any ideas, guys?

You do the best and dont leave the dealer to put the saw in the diagnostic tool . THIS TOOL IS A REAL GARBAGE . another stihl's mistake.
Theese stupids Germans always make mistakes.
The blsnelling have find the problem and give the solution, i just say take a look and to the seals if you want.
good luck

nasumu2u.jpg

Pull the air filter cover . The little orange slide on the right side . When you look behind the carb that area should not be open but be closed by the slider.
I can tell you a 441cm will stall all over and run like crap if your cutting at 5 deg f in Sumer mode

Good information to know. Didnt think the summer/winter slider would make that much difference.

Back