SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the other one to crack now! How did you reattach your HT lead to the coil? Clearly they're supposed to screw on but short of pulling the grommet out and the cap off the spark plug end this is not possible... Mine is just pushed on and I suspect it is not the best connection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coil wires screw onto the post, then you feed the wires (kill & HT) through the grommet with a bit of lube and the coil loose. Set the coil over the shaft and into its mount as you pull the wires through. Probably the biggest PITA on that saw series.

It helps to push a pick or an awl into the HT lead end to get a "starter" hole.

You do have to remove the boot and clip at the plug...

Can't even get the b*astard thing to start today, still got a fat spark but I suspect the plug isn't wonderful and is struggling to spark with fuel round it. Tried to check the other end of the HT lead but unfortunately having heeded the earlier advice and tightened the flywheel nut very tight I now can't get the flywheel off, even with my puller. Just one of those days...

Try giving it a blast of starting fluid. That gets my tough starting saw running

Shall have to pick some up, I tend to make a point of not keeping it, too tempting to get into the habit of using it! Not gonna stress over it too much until I've got a brand new plug and can eliminate that as a culprit.

OH-- my "tough starting saw" is an old 610 McCulloch that continues to run well after getting started.

Yeh I think this 056 is severely flooded now so may need a little starting fluid to help it burn off the excess fuel!

Hello everyone longearrider hear just joined the forum new to all this high tech stuff I have an 056 equipt with sem system doesn't run when hot do I need to do the same thing to it or what maybe I missed some info hope you can help thanks

Hello everyone longearrider hear just joined the forum new to all this high tech stuff I have an 056 equipt with sem system doesn't run when hot do I need to do the same thing to it or what maybe I missed some info hope you can help thanks

Hello and Welcome!
From all the reading in this post, this repair only applies to the BOSCH version of ignition.

Now, I hope someone can figure out the SEM problem as I have 4 dead SEM coils to one 2101 saw :-(

Hello and Welcome!
From all the reading in this post, this repair only applies to the BOSCH version of ignition.

Now, I hope someone can figure out the SEM problem as I have 4 dead SEM coils to one 2101 saw :-(
Hey bro, you're replying to a suspicious looking post.

UOTE="towingace, post: 5148035, member: 113393"]Hey bro, you're replying to a suspicious looking post.[/QUOTE]
Ok so what does that mean ?

Well, new plug and starting fluid and still no sign of life :(

Yeh plenty of compression, I did the fix successfully and got a day of use out of the saw but it's now died again

Pull the starter and fly wheel and clean around the module as best you can to improve air flow, this might buy some time for the ignition but it's only a matter of time before it fails completely!:(..........Sorry.

Rested on the top cover, update however is that spark has now gone completely.

Gonna have to pull it apart and re-check everything I've done

Okay, well I bought two new plugs so I guess I'll give the other a try!

Back