Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about the price of these mauls and axes got me thinking about a Lincoln biography I read awhile back. They explained in the book about how important it was to have a good quality ax head on the frontier because so much depended on it. When they bought an ax back then it was like investing in a pro saw today. So I guess if you are planning to need to survive in a post apocalyptic wasteland you could justify one of those 400 dollar hand made jobs someone posted a link to earlier in this thread. If not almost all of us need nothing more than the $25 truper.

Talking about the price of these mauls and axes got me thinking about a Lincoln biography I read awhile back. They explained in the book about how important it was to have a good quality ax head on the frontier because so much depended on it. When they bought an ax back then it was like investing in a pro saw today. So I guess if you are planning to need to survive in a post apocalyptic wasteland you could justify one of those 400 dollar hand made jobs someone posted a link to earlier in this thread. If not almost all of need nothing more than the $25 trumpets.

Amen.

Here's another 460!
View attachment 393553

Philbert

lol. How long did it take to find that?

Well I put the Helko Vario 2000 in the TV room. Boy to say the MRS. was not impressed is an understatement.

x5sbcz.jpg

OK, today I finally got the chance to use the Husky S2800. Joel, our young and energetic tech, needed a new maul. Despite the "handle's too short" impression he had, he liked the overall feel of the thing. After our noon closing we went out back to cut a couple pick up loads of wood. Some average size oak, and some huge, 30" ash. We also had an 8lb Council tool maul and the 6lb Total maul with us. Have to admit, the new tech S2800 was significantly better in that big stuff. We were both a wee bit shocked at how well it worked. "Wow, this thing's unreal!" I had to complain that the S2800 was better than all of my other tools and now I've got to have one for myself. Not perfect, as nothing is. If it gets stuck, it gets REAL stuck. But it was busting up wood that the 8lb Council and the 6lb Total maul just bounced off of. It really wasn't close.

Also, I got in some new Fiskars splitting axes for the guys who are into them. Mostly because I needed some splitting tools with longer handles for the big guys. Seems like there is another line in the Fiskars family that maybe you guys can enlighten us on. (Steve, jump in here) I think there are some pics posted of them earlier in this thread. Single color black handle and also a black, not gray head. Doesn't have "X27" moulded in the handle. Just a large Fiskars decal on the handle. (that won't last long) But it is a genuine Fiskars product with the lifetime warranty and seems otherwise the same as an X27. I'm guessing they took a little cost out of the manufacturing process, but the core product is essentially the same.

OK, today I finally got the chance to use the Husky S2800. Joel, our young and energetic tech, needed a new maul. Despite the "handle's too short" impression he had, he liked the overall feel of the thing. After our noon closing we went out back to cut a couple pick up loads of wood. Some average size oak, and some huge, 30" ash. We also had an 8lb Council tool maul and the 6lb Total maul with us. Have to admit, the new tech S2800 was significantly better in that big stuff. We were both a wee bit shocked at how well it worked. "Wow, this thing's unreal!" I had to complain that the S2800 was better than all of my other tools and now I've got to have one for myself. Not perfect, as nothing is. If it gets stuck, it gets REAL stuck. But it was busting up wood that the 8lb Council and the 6lb Total maul just bounced off of. It really wasn't close.

Also, I got in some new Fiskars splitting axes for the guys who are into them. Mostly because I needed some splitting tools with longer handles for the big guys. Seems like there is another line in the Fiskars family that maybe you guys can enlighten us on. (Steve, jump in here) I think there are some pics posted of them earlier in this thread. Single color black handle and also a black, not gray head. Doesn't have "X27" moulded in the handle. Just a large Fiskars decal on the handle. (that won't last long) But it is a genuine Fiskars product with the lifetime warranty and seems otherwise the same as an X27. I'm guessing they took a little cost out of the manufacturing process, but the core product is essentially the same.
Awesome!

Exactly!! I am a firm believer in that head design.

Spike is the handle hollow on the 2800 like the fiskars?

I got a response from Gardena/Husqvarna group regarding a longer handled version of the 2800. They said the would pass my message along to the appropriate people.

Dang
Good news, I'd be game for a longer handled husq, I've handled the ones at the local dealer but can't bring myself to spend $100 on a possible shin wacker, they do feel nice tho

I think, personal opinion only, that trading around the lighter version of the leveraxe has reached a point where we pretty much know what is up with it. The larger one might be more fun and useful for north America, or maybe (even better) the inventor might come out with a *designed* for north America version, with around a six lb head and much better handle attachment system. Or dare I say a fiskarsesque quality syn handle, then get it made cheaper some how, so he can sell it much cheaper.

I don't know his business, but how many has he actually sold in NA for 250-350? Not many I would guess.

edit: whoops, wrong thread, but it fits here good enough.

Back