What You Should Do If You Get Hurt in the Woods When Alone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn. We're talking Emergency Care at a level that is in an outback, rural, hours from professional assistance.
No you fools don't have to do the EMT route; it takes many many many days to work up to the highest level.
First Aid stuff is just that --bandage care that usually is no where near saving anybody. The Red Cross and other bureaucratic
stuff is CYA, no more.
Stop bleeding. Clear an airway. If available, learn how to use an AED. Practice injections such as insulin, anaphalactic. Prevent shock. Save the life......or know when to stop. It's basic triage.
All that takes time, takes experience, the will to learn what you don't know.
Go to a ski area where the patrols are being trained. Take a few hours in an urban ER one Sat. night. Ride an ambulance. Talk to your fav cop/sheriff or F.D. how they're trained.
And please, don't believe this BS about legalities....it never happens; . You're on a work site miles from help, that logger is bleeding out, do something.
Can't take a few hours off your sooooo busy days to learn how to protect yourself and others ? Time to give it up. Your choice.
Yup, the elephant will arrive....sometime in your life.
Pulp, you're on thin ice, You want to stay here? stop calling members names. I get one more report of your name calling and your history.

The most important things to remember are:
Pre-1. Avoid using any electronic devices. Leave them in your car. It's nature stupid! :)
1. Never let anyone know where you'll be. You want to remain a shadow of interaction, avoiding all communication if possible.
2. Never take too much clothing, that stuff is heavy and you can't eat it.
3. If you do happen to find yourself in this situation, the first thing to remember is to sink into panic and fear. Imagine yourself dying, frozen, mouth agape stuck to a tree. Hyperventilation can be your friend and help you slip into shock, a wonderful gift to terror where you will forget all your worries.
4. Run! Running is good for us. Just run in a straight line through the woods for as long as you can, removing any clothing as to not overheat.
5. Scream at the top of your lungs. Crying also helps the authenticity of your screams, so everyone knows you are serious.
6. Eat or drink all of your available food and water immediately.
7. Camouflage yourself with mud and shrubbery when you think you hear someone coming or see drones flying overhead. They're always watching us.

Oh wait...hold on...that's my list for ending a long term relationship.
Ummm...just do the opposite of these.

I'm with the original assessment, doing what you can, staying calm, get help asap, evaluate your injury, be happy like you just won something, all good advice this is my basic mo when i get injured. When i nearly took the tip of my finger off i did briefly lose my humor when the intake uh guy tried to take off my glove and what was left hanging of my finger. But it was an almost sewed it back on miracle i kept it considering and it doesn't look too bwahahaha!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Some of these Darwins don't read too well. Read what was posted; put things like insulin with airways and bleedouts--stupid is as stupid does.
Some skins are nano thin.
Read what's been posted without all this threatening and name calling ( what the F is Bush Ape ?). There are only experts
who've seen the elephant, not posturing, not BSing. "Warn" someone else.
If you can't discuss intelligently, shut up. You know everything, fine. Don't need training or skills, fine.:lol:

Now back to the SOP of real world emergency care.:rock:
Hello Pulp, I got hit hard because I wasn't wearing a hard hat, but the no hard hat wasn't the cause of it.
I haven't read everything here, but why are they pounding on you?
John

i managed to get a pretty big piece of mig splatter on my wedding ring a while back. Just a quick tack so of course you dont' need gloves....:dumb2: My finger smelled bad for a bit after that.

That's one of the reasons my ring is tungsten. In addition to being REALLY scratch resistant, spatter isn't supposed to stick. I gotta say, it looks a lot better than my watch, and I've had the ring twice as long.

If you see someone who is diabetic loose consciousness, they need a higher level of care. Your do not know how long this has been going on, and if you correct with insulin only, you risk causing electrolyte abnormalities that can be life threatening. The risk is small, but there. Would you kill your buddy over a simple lab test? The other thing to remember is that if you give insulin, you are 100 percent committed. What if you are wrong? Now you have hypoglycemia to deal with on and top of the original problem. My point is it is complicated.
Dan Simons RN

Of course, you know to give insulin because of the reading on the glucometer, right? And being an expert, you knew how much to give with a reading of 45?

Or do you just give insulin to an unconscious diabetic without knowing they are at 45. Now you probably have to manage a seizure, and they end up with brain damage, from long term hypoglycemia. I will say it again, insulin IS NOT A FIELD MEDICATION, and shouldn't be mentioned as a treatment in this context.

4 to 12 hours of excessive sugar won't cause a long term disability. Not saying it should be ignored, but it's outside the scope of 'Hurt in the Woods'.

If it's a survival kind of thing and you just made it out on your own, did The Lord lend a hand?
To answer my own question, don't ask God for anything useless you absolutely need it.
John

Back