6" or chuck and duck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, never really needed to know as they were all built the same. Best guess is a mid 80's. That one is a chipmore.

Yeah those little governers are pretty pricey but a cruise control unit could be used in place of a inop one.
Any insight on this? my governor never functioned properly it was trying to do slow me down vs speed me up so I got pissed and cut the belt and rigged a throttle cable up...

I always thought tgere was more technology in cruise control then is avaliable on a 19 80 ' s chipper

You could put a newer aftermarket electronic unit on, just have to put a pickup on the crank and you could run a digital tack of that as well. Mount the servo to work the throttle and your set. I've priced the kits out in the past and would run around $200. Or pick up an old vacuum unit out of the junk yard. Only thing you'd have to do is run a vacuum line and rig a bracket for the cable. Wouldn't perform as quickly as an electronic but super cheap and better than what your running now.

I was thinking of the diesels I've done before, you shouldn't need a crank pickup. You should be able to run off the tack wire from the distributor.

May have found a 9" machine not too far away for me to road trip and go get. Just waiting on my tax return now.

6" is gonna be tough those things are a pain in the ass to feed. Chuck and ducks is gonna blow it out of the water in speed. If you are only feeding straight limbs a chuck and duck will outrun most modern chippers in speed with smaller material.

This is a altec 6" we use to drag around people's yards usually only for thinning out trees and very small stuff. If you plan on chipping 6 inch alot a 9 inch is alot better choice. We buy 18" to chip 15 efficiently if your always running it at its max capacity it's going to struggle or wear out prematurely. I'm gonna go with a terex 720 to do light work in the spring they go new for around 20 grand and in think have a 13inch capacity 80 some horse kabota.

20141217_130606_zpsdldaepvq.jpg

Currently eyeballing a 1975 chuck and duck as well as a 90's vermeer 935 9" machine, seems like pros and cons to both machines. Speed and reliability are the two factors that are weighing in right now. Ideally, I don't need anything faster than a lone ground guy can feed and it needs to last me a couple years problem free until I outgrow it. I am leaning towards the 9" diesel which will be slower but more relaxing to run.

The chuck n duck is a bit more risky though you will catch on quick. Its way faster if thats a concern otherwise a six inch will take you far. Ive ran both and am in the same boat as you im going with the c&d because speed is a factor for me. the six inch wont rip it out of your hand but if its only you feeding its a real toss up. figure out what is more important to you and the maintenance factor, more parts.. well, you know the rest. Climb safe

The C&D won't rip anything out of your hand if you use it right. Just let go of the branch. You will only have a problem if you hold the branch for too long....and I have done that. But I've also seen a guy get tossed off his feet on an hydraulic feed chipper when the wheels caused the crotch of a branch to turn suddenly...which whipped the branch toward the operator and put him on his butt. It wasn't one of my guys but I saw it happen and immediately thought he was injured (hit him hard in the ribs...luckily he was fine). So there are advantages to each chipper but I don't think one is inherently more dangerous than the other.

The C&D won't rip anything out of your hand if you use it right. Just let go of the branch. You will only have a problem if you hold the branch for too long....and I have done that. But I've also seen a guy get tossed off his feet on an hydraulic feed chipper when the wheels caused the crotch of a branch to turn suddenly...which whipped the branch toward the operator and put him on his butt. It wasn't one of my guys but I saw it happen and immediately thought he was injured (hit him hard in the ribs...luckily he was fine). So there are advantages to each chipper but I don't think one is inherently more dangerous than the other.
Very true I've had a few not major but very meaningful ***** slaps from our morbark always happens when it's cold as hell too so u feel like ur bleeding out haha but in reality it barley left a mark.. also just before I started the co had a guy break a finger via a hydro chipper, went to stick a log in, wheels slammed the log into the top of the infeed and dude had his hand on top of the log...

Latest posts

Back