Do all OWBs have the blower on the door?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Empire owb..it has the blower on the door ..I have often wondered if all owbs are like this, I have thought about making a air delivery system inside my heater so the air would blow up from the bottom in several different places instead of it all coming from the front.. just to see if I would get a better burn on my wood.. several times I have went to add more wood and find a stick or two un burnt but covered in ashes..

The Heatmor model 400 uses forced air fans at the front and rear of the unit. They introduce air through a vent under the door and at the rear of the unit at the same place, about 6 inches above the grate. It also has an air tube that feeds off the front fan to the ash hopper so it comes up under the grate. I have never had a flame out, but I have been accused of using more wood than others, I have no way to compare as no two circumstances are the same. As WS would say (shrug)....:)

The Central Boiler Classic series do not have a fan in the door or elsewhere. They do work just fine with nothing but a regulated draft door.
Thats right. My cb classic works great with no blower. :rock:

Really? My CB Classic has a fan that blows when the flue opens. I didn't buy the boiler, it came with the house. Maybe it's an option?

Really? My CB Classic has a fan that blows when the flue opens. I didn't buy the boiler, it came with the house. Maybe it's an option?
mine is the owb classic 4030. no fan just great draft perhaps due to the tall pipe stack. I am not as familiar with the indoor furnace design.

burnrite, nature's comfort, wood master, shaver stoves, taylor stoves, connecticut wood furnaces, all use the blower in the door design. tennessee wood furnaces, hawken energy, heatmaster, heatmor, have a blower that brings in air somewhere else. usually under the grate. i remember reading that wood doctor (out of business, again) blew in air in many different places in the burn chamber, everyone who owned one said they like to eat alot of wood. most manufacturers offer some models without blowers.

different moisture contents, and different species of wood will burn differently. so its not just the placement of the air.

do you rake the coals forward, and spread em out before reloading? that should help give you a more consistent burn.

The Natures Comfort does NOT have a door mounted blower. Mine is on the back and blows up under the firebox.
awww!!! i shoulda double checked before i posted. I guess my memory isn't as good as i thought... i shoulda remembered cause natures comfort advertises their doors as being granite filled and claims their doors are the coolest in the industry. they are Amish made, which is why they are so cheap. and they use flexible conduit which saves time. they have a drain on the bottom and I never figured out if they have insulation on the bottom of their boilers, or not, just due to the location and appearance of their drain. its been a few years since i've looked at one of their units... thanx for the reminder though :)

Back