Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8.8 not as strong but a bit more efficient. That second bearing on the rear of the 9in makes it plenty strong, bit the angle it causes the pinion to engage the ring, you loose some energy. And yeah pullimg a third member out of a 9in is aboutas easy a swap as you can get.......unless you have a quick change like a winters used in dirt cars and hot rods.
Ford 9" story.

My bro in law and his dad have done a lot of work on cars. One time many years ago they decided to have a contest to see who could break the windshield of an old rusted out Hudson Hornet. They kept throwing larger and larger steel pieces at it and the windshield wouldn't break. Finally one of them took a complete 9" center section and he-manned it over their head. It bounced off the windshield without even cracking it. They then wisely chose to give up on the contest.

They definitely don't make things like they used to.

Way bigger and better than mine as well :(

Had a chance to test the rubber baby boat bumper skidding cone today .
First log for testing .

IMG_20150124_125034.jpg

had to get it over the berm

IMG_20150124_125056.jpg

IMG_20150124_125115.jpg

IMG_20150124_125135.jpg

Worked perfect !
Found a nice 12" dead standing spruce fore test #2
Worked perfect !

IMG_20150124_132653.jpg

Well , when pulling through this stuff

IMG_20150124_140317.jpg

the cone shows it's shortcomings , the nose is not stiff enough so it will fetch up against a stump or large rock :(
You can still use it in a more open setting and it'll be fine but the heavy plastic from a 45 gallon barrel or a steel one are the way to go if you're going to make one .
Before I hightailed it out of there I took a walk further up the road for more leaners .

IMG_20150124_142308.jpg

IMG_20150124_142347.jpg

IMG_20150124_142432.jpg

IMG_20150124_142510.jpg

IMG_20150124_142707.jpg

Plenty yet to come out of there :)

I'll let my brother evaluate the other bumper cone to see if it works in his area .
If it was all I had to work with I'd still be happy with how it works and what it does until I broke it LOL
Plastic cone tomorrow , we'll see if I can bust that one :)

I picked up a MS441 this weekend. The price that I got it for qualifies as a scrounge, and most likely a "YOU SUCK" as well. My Dad felled a tree right smack on top of his MS310 today, and took it in to get it fixed, and walked out with a new MS362cm that I get to run tomorrow. He sounded pretty stoked about it on the phone and it's probably still on the first or second tank. He was even more stoked when I told him that it would only get better.

Sounds like you will be pulling the trigger on a couple of nice saws, tell us about the 441 deal.

A Pit, American Bulldog, and the Dogo Argentino can all look very similar.

My guy Thor (who passed a year ago) was 75 lbs, and I speculate may have been a mix of pit & dogo, but it may have also been American Bulldog. I called him my 75 lb vice grip, and he was a great dog. He was a very strong, smart, and learned what you wanted him to do. They are both from the local Humane Society.

The two we have now are very nice dogs, but they lack his attention span, and the teaching is far more repetitive.

Thor is the White & Brown one, the Black & White is Lucy, she is doing very well.

South Mt Beacon is near the Beacon Newburgh Bridge, and Anthony's Nose is overlooking the Bear Mtn Bridge. My Stepson is with my wife in the first pic.

Attachments

• SoMtBeacon21014.JPG
    SoMtBeacon21014.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 93
  • ThorANose9-14-10.jpg
    ThorANose9-14-10.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 90
Ford 9" story.

My bro in law and his dad have done a lot of work on cars. One time many years ago they decided to have a contest to see who could break the windshield of an old rusted out Hudson Hornet. They kept throwing larger and larger steel pieces at it and the windshield wouldn't break. Finally one of them took a complete 9" center section and he-manned it over their head. It bounced off the windshield without even cracking it. They then wisely chose to give up on the contest.

They definitely don't make things like they used to.

Was bulletproof glass even an option on those cars? Maybe it was just a "light duty" differential?

ive never had the patience for setting all the lash and pinion depth. the removing and replacing shims isnt that bad, its when you have to press off the bearings to get at the shims that gets to me... Dana 44 and 60 axles were good for that
The trick is to buy a spare bearings and use a hone to "open up" the inside diameter so they can be installed and removed without the press. I own a set of "special" bearings for several different models of differential. Unfortunately with the Dana there's no way to make the pinion races smaller so you just have to fight where they have shims underneath them.

Actually, the part I hate is getting the old bearings off. A press makes putting the new pinion together a breaze, its getting the shim under the old bearing that sucks. Cutoff wheel and air hammer with chisel, still no fun.
Toss the air chisel. Cut the cages with the cutting pliers and peel apart so the rollers fall out then cut the inner part of the bearing down and diagonally with the cutoff wheel. Cut extremely close to the pinion / carrier all the way down, curving the cut if needed to avoid contacting the pinion / carrier. Start with a worn wheel so the OD is smaller and don't be afraid of putting the cutoff wheel on a 90 degree die grinder to get better access. Drive the chisel into the cut from the end, not from the bearing face, so you don't bottom out the cutting edge on the metal underneath. When done correctly it will take one or two hits with a regular chisel and 2# hammer and the bearing will split wide open. I usually don't even have to cut the bottom 1/8 of the bearing anymore.

Drove by the house where the old gent offered me some trees last weekend. From a different angle there's quite a bit of wood in there but some of it looks like heavy leaners. It's going to be fun when that time comes.

@SteveSS Is that an American Bulldog? Looks just like my old male from Alan Scott.
There's some in there for sure. He was a stray when we picked him up, so no way to tell for sure.

Sounds like you will be pulling the trigger on a couple of nice saws, tell us about the 441 deal.
I picked it up from a tree service guy who said it lost compression during use. He was close enough to a dealer, that he put it aside and went and bought another without looking too closely at it. Sold it to me for for a C-note. I took the covers off and the spark plug was flopping loose and had been cross threaded at some point. I was able to find enough thread to get a new plug snugged in and she fired right up. It will need a helicoil real soon, and after a new bar and a couple chains, I think I'm into it for about $215 right now. I ran it for about an hour pretty hard yesterday without an issue. My Stihl dealer quoted $30 to put in a helicoil. Aside from needing to be torn down and given a bath, it's in great shape.

The big-bore Makita that I bought shows to be delivered tomorrow on UPS site, so I guess I better take it easy on saw purchases for a while. :laugh:

U have been bit with the CAD!!!

For $60 you can get UR dog DNA tested, it will tell U everything. I'm regretting we never did it for the "old boy". We did it for both of our current dogs, it may surprise U! (3 flavors in one, 5 in the other)

The 362 C should have close to the power of a non-C 441, and lighter & smaller. The 441 is a good saw, most of the work I did to convert the Ash logs to 6.5" square post & beam was done with my 441. The only thing I did not like about the 441 is that I could not cut stumps as close to the ground as I could with the 044.

I think you will like all 3 of them saws, but keep us posted, U know we are like little kids about this stuff!

Latest posts

Back