NYS rough cut codes intensifying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy. Taking more money from the locals. I know at least ten local mills that would go under pretty fast with out these sales. I don't see the difference between the two. I've seen some really crappy store bought stuff. I haven't bought a store bought 2x in years. I'm glad i'm phasing out building from my resume.

It's not gonna help my sawmill business any. I was told that they tried doing this some time ago, but sawmill mfg Timber Harvester got the people together and protested and shut them down in their tracks. The people of NY can do something we need to get the word out.

They have soft hands and sit in a temperature controlled office all day and tell us what we can and can't do. Most don't know a thing about what folks like us do, how hard we work, and then they steal our hard earned money. It is bull and I would love to do something about it.

They is nowhere left to go, no one to take the stand....
Get use to it, America is lost.

Scott (drop your mill at city hall) B

I know people moving out of NYS because of all the stuff they pull, and I tell them you gotta stay here and stand up. Otherwise it won't stop and it'll proberly catch up with you anyhow

What is their definition of "rough cut"? Not planed? What band mills produce is anything but rough.

Maybe it's to do with standardized lumber dimensions.
idontknow.gif

Maybe it's to do with standardized lumber dimensions.
idontknow.gif

According to the IRBC, all lumber used in a structural capacity must have a lumber grading stamp; however, NY has long allowed a special provision for locally milled lumber. Since smaller, local, family-owned mills typically do not have a certified grader, the sawyer can certify that the lumber is "Grade 2 or better" by filling out a CERTIFICATION OF LUMBER USED FOR LOAD SUPPORTING PURPOSES form, which allows the unstamped wood to be used in any location which specifies Grade 2 lumber. Any specifications for Grade 1 or better lumber must be stamped.

The new code doesn't include this exception.

Something like that would just be ignored here... Though we don't have building codes in most areas either.

Wow that's a bit rough (pun intended :laugh:)

We don't have anything like that here in NZ. I think its pretty much all has to be graded and treated for structural no matter what. Would definitely be fighting for this if I was in NY

This is probably intended to slap down the Amish. The low cost lumber they produce is one thing, but their advantage in associated construction costs and labor is no doubt felt. Last 10 years, approximately half of the garages, garden sheds and barns built in my neck of the woods have been Amish built. Certainly a market response to high costs of NY construction contractors with their heavy insurance, regulatory, comp, and tax load. NYC and Albany bureaucrats no doubt are upset by tax money not collected. Contractors, playing by the rules, hate em.

I'm not a big fan of Amish, but typical of New York, they create a regulatory and fiscal misery then double down, no matter who gets caught in their BS.

I could be wrong, but I cant imagine that small mill lumber production is such a concern.
Has there been a rash of rough sawn structure collapses? We had over 7 feet of wet snow in November. Rough sawn buildings did fine.

They have soft hands and sit in a temperature controlled office all day and tell us what we can and can't do.

Thats right. Gotta remember the loony left power in this state also. We shouldn't be cutting down innocent trees anyway. All of thier homes were built with rainbows and unicorn poop.

Thanks for cluing us in on this 4x4. My Buffalo News newspaper is too busy reporting fluff to inform us on what our clowns are doing in Albany. Certainly no interest in informing mouth breathing rural folk.

Latest posts

Back