reusing pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From looking at the "before" pics, I wouldn't have even considered reusing it. Cleaning up a cylinder is basically restoring it to its previous condition. Sanding down a piston doesn't fix it because part of it is missing. Just because it runs doesn't mean it's "ok". Get another piston.
Especially for a piston that is available. Next time it may be pieces of it destroying bearings. Out comes the same price for the piston plus the crank

Glad to hear your local dealer took care of you. Little birdie told me there might be a shop willing to provide a bit of assistance to loyal AS folks in the NJ/Philly area.

If you can't see machine marks on the piston I advise against using it. Although some will reuse them you've got to remember those small ridges allow oil to coat the piston and help cool it.

A long time ago, in a place far, far away, when I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic, an old timer told me there were companies that would rebuild your pistons. They'd take the worn piston and knurl the skirt up with inverted diamonds rather than the raised. Wouldn't last as long a a new piston, but back then, when everything was built to last AND be rebuildable, it was a viable solution for operators who couldn't afford the coin for new.

As far as the lines on a new piston, those are not from feeding the lathe too quickly. They are parallel lines, not spiral.

I disagree

What cost effective machining process would leave parallel witness marks? And why would they waste time doing that? Especially if a bump in feed rate or a drop in speed rate will produce the exact same thing.

You had to remove wrote a lot of material to remove those gouge. I suspect that piston is now way undersized. As far as the lines on a new piston, those are not from feeding the lathe too quickly. They are parallel lines, not spiral.
Hey Brad now that I got you on here what do you think the specs on an Ms200T 40 m/m bore should b
Are you seriously going to make me go study the lines on a piston? Lol:buttkick::yes:
Well they hold the Oil on anyway so ! Hey you ever knurl pistons?

A long time ago, in a place far, far away, when I used to be a heavy equipment mechanic, an old timer told me there were companies that would rebuild your pistons. They'd take the worn piston and knurl the skirt up with inverted diamonds rather than the raised. Wouldn't last as long a a new piston, but back then, when everything was built to last AND be rebuildable, it was a viable solution for operators who couldn't afford the coin for new.
My buds machine shop would do my dirt bike pistons when they wore so they would run a bit tighter and not slap to death. Cheap fix for a while.

Back