The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sliverpicker....My part is done. The stump removal and ground remediation will be done by somebody else. I had the easy part. I helped the Forester set things up, got the trucks in, and did the falling. I don't think the property owner made much but his main goal was to open up some space and make things look better. He has an almost ongoing thinning project and the place looks great.

I had a check in my pocket when I drove out the gate. The guy that owns the property does business that way. Like I said, he's a pleasure to work for.
The logs went to a little independent mill that cuts specialty items. I kinda like that. The only big mill within hauling distance didn't want to pay anything and would probably have murdered us on scale even though the logs were good. They're still jammed with pine from last year's fires.

Some of you folks might remember me yacking about a job a few months ago dude didn't want a permit, big timber etc.

Well got word today that DNR F+W and a few other alphabet soup types showed up and shut em down...

Haven't heard what the final outcome was, but don't sound very pretty...

I'm suddenly very glad I passed on it even though I haven't cut a tree in 6 weeks until today. Today was a good day...

Shoulder surgery was yesterday afternoon so I am PUI (posting under influence) - a common occurrence apparently on the AS forums.

Surgery took 2 1/2 hours. My two responsible adults didn't ask many questions or take notes so I don't know what was found or done beyond one or two RC repairs plus the discovery and repair of a torn bicep. Something was said about a temporary peg. The good news is they found less arthritis than they were expecting. If all goes well I should be WOT in time for next season.

Ron

Shoulder surgery was yesterday afternoon so I am PUI (posting under influence) - a common occurrence apparently on the AS forums.

Surgery took 2 1/2 hours. My two responsible adults didn't ask many questions or take notes so I don't know what was found or done beyond one or two RC repairs plus the discovery and repair of a torn bicep. Something was said about a temporary peg. The good news is they found less arthritis than they were expecting. If all goes well I should be WOT in time for next season.

Ron

That's good news Ron. Take your time healing and heal well. And leave those damn saws alone for awhile. :cheers:

Yes. I need a new exercise plan. From an economic viewpoint I could have bought several families a HVAC system for what I have spent on healthcare providing a few sticks of firewood.

No real regrets though. Most of my injuries could have happened pushing a truck out of the mud or moving furniture neither of which are near as much fun nor would have resulted in meeting so many fine folks locally or on the Internet.

Ron

4 weeks ago I received a text message on my new-fangled flip phone. "I have a skidder op. job. $19 per hour plus $1.50 per ton for anything over 75 tons per day. 5 days 7am to 4pm. Interested?" Since I had given up logging my own patch due to various factors that I couldn't control I said "Yes". I show up on day one. Tuesday. I am informed that we are burning brush. Sounds good to me. As long as I am out doors and still have a pulse I'm pretty much happy. So, we burn brush at 9950 feet for 4 days. Week two day two. Now we are processing pulp piles left on some BLM land by 4 other outfits. No problem. I sit in the loader all day. I "pencil" the sticks (tops mostly) up and make a neat deck. My coworker comes along with a saw and cuts 20's and 25's. We work up around 6 loads and call it a day. The hayrack shows up first thing the next day and hauls a load to the pellet plant only he doesn't make it to his destination. He twists the driveshaft off of his truck and calls his wife for a ride. Parts are ordered and we continue to work up loads. 2pm on day two of pulp duty we get a call that the pellet plant yard is stuffed up. We are cut off indefinitely. No problem. There's 5-6 miles of skid roads with pulp piles. I jump in the D4 the next day and proceed to plow snow. Hour after hour. Tank of fuel after tank of fuel. There are drifts up to 7 feet deep. I am wishing for a D11 with a v-plow! My coworker shows up (no cell service) to tell me there has been another change of plans. One of the main haul roads, the one that doesn't have the disabled hayrack acting as a paperweight. Needs to be widened. No problem. I head cross country with the D4 to plow the road. I notice a perfect set of bobcat-hunting-hare tracks on the way so the trip was worthwhile. I plow the east side of the road on the way down the hill. In Colorado you are usually headed straight up or straight down at any given moment. I make my turn to widen the west side of the road on the way back to the crummy and not 200 yard into the job the dozer starts to lose power. Crap! This is a northwest facing stretch and is gray ice 6"thick. Since the only other way in that doesn't require a Huey is blocked by a crippled Freightliner I know that I have to get this piece of scrap metal off of the road and now. I turn perpendicular to the hill using the last of the dying Cat's power and proceed to begin sliding sideways (big surprise). In some manner that I don't remember I managed to get the yellow pig off of the road and between a few trees. Perfect spot to park. I walk the 2 miles to the top of the hill in the sweltering 52 degree temps. This is Friday. I text the mill, that I am working for, on Sunday morning first thing " Are we working Monday or Tuesday?" "No" comes the reply later that afternoon. Apparently the mill owner, for whom I am now working, has not left his previous clients in a good mood. This is all fine and dandy except the 1270(d)(lol!) acres we are supposed to be cutting can only be accessed through these folks' property! So it has been 6 days since anyone has any idea what is going on. 6 days since I have "been on the clock". Six days since anyone has said anything to me that wasn't a lie. The biggest problem here folks is that I had a 40-hour-per-week job in town that was going to last until break up. I quite that full time job for...NOTHING. Now I have no income at all. I have been out in the wind for the past 4 days trying to finish up a load for the stud mill in ******* deep snow.

My question is; what sort of names are appropriate for the particular mill owner that courted me in to taking this non-existent gig? Fug.

Signed,

Down and Out on the Western Slope

"Descriptive" enough? This reply is certainly over processed.

That's a bunch of crap. Mill owner is making a name for himself, a bad name.

Sadly, sometimes they're the only game in town or one of a few. Saw a similar thing happen to loggers when the 2009 crash hit. They'd been "promised" year round work and one had quit a good, steady job to return. The mill is still going. The loggers went out of business and scattered.

Back