Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
472e9a3245aa452de7f02e2fcbcb6dc1.jpg

Some stuff from today down in a stream bed with a rocker log used to help save it out to 1/2" at the top.
661bfd8596917673e56658977409d444.jpg

A set of stairs I used on a maple with a board that got reused.
cd5eda4b40a642bdd606c6b42aaf2eec.jpg

And an ugly little fir to finish up a load domestic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike yes I did bore the one with the Stihl. That was a while ago. I used to bore some then. That red oak was leaning pretty hard and had a heavy top. I would do that differently now. As far as the sizwheel its really only two extra cuts. You take out a triangular piece on the pull side exposing the fibers and giving them room to bend. Burvol used to say he was taking a piece of the pie. The humboldts and snipe(scarf) are just complemtary to the swing. With some of those maple block faces I was experimenting a little. Hard maple doesn't always like to hang on the stump for as long as I'd like it too.

i gotcha bitz. now in your boxin pics, what did you do on that red in lower left corner? i know bitzer ain't doin a crown lol.

This one Mike? The other three are maple. I should have called that set of pics blockin. I think of them as box faces for some reason too. I needed this red to lay out so I didn't bust the last log. Thats why I blocked it, nothing special. The biggest measurement I got on the stump was 60". It was my first block face that was over bar length. I'm still pissed about that back cut four years later. I think I bored in one side because I thought the tree was going to have some rot. Then I cut it from the other side. Now I would have walked it around and sawed back to the corner. Anyway its got that shelf. I like to see a nice flat plane. I'm a perfectionist I guess. I bucked it all at 8. It made 6 of em. I made em short so the forwardr could pick them up. It still couldn't. The first buck was over 48" I believe. That tree should have scaled better than 2mbf, but it hollowed out some after the second log. Still my biggest merch timber to date though.
Block Oak.JPGBlockFaceOak.JPG

ButtOak9-28.JPG

BuckedupLength.JPG

Latest posts

Back