MAXX Chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushinspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought myself a new Maxx grinder and the instruction are beyond bad. Very hard to follow and have read them over several times. Was wondering if anyone knows of a video that can be watched? All of my chains are 3/8 that I am running.

Once you get past the instructions the Maxx is a nice grinder. Set up a new chain and match the angles without grinding. Just turn the wheel by hand to make sure of your set up. Check the depth set up before you grind. After you are sure of the set up , turn the head the other way and repeat. After you get used to setting it up it does a nice job. I use a caliper to make sure that the cutters are the same on both sides.

Once you get past the instructions the Maxx is a nice grinder. Set up a new chain and match the angles without grinding. Just turn the wheel by hand to make sure of your set up. Check the depth set up before you grind. After you are sure of the set up , turn the head the other way and repeat. After you get used to setting it up it does a nice job. I use a caliper to make sure that the cutters are the same on both sides.

I think I have figured out most of it but am wondering what angle do i set the clamp/vice at. I have the head set at 60 degrees. I did what you suggested but the chain seemed a little to aggressive. Also it was wanting to just touch the rakes on the way down.

I think I have figured out most of it but am wondering what angle do i set the clamp/vice at. I have the head set at 60 degrees. I did what you suggested but the chain seemed a little to aggressive. Also it was wanting to just touch the rakes on the way down.
No right or wrong answer.

Either use the manufacturer's specs or pick a number.

Most Oregon chains are 55 hook, 25 top plate, 10 tilt.

The tilt is optional. Zero tilt is easier to set up and seems to cut just as well.

I use 60, 30, and 0 for stihl chain.

I use the 1/4" wheel and 0 to set the raker height.

I have mine bolted to a piece of 90 degree angle iron so that it sits in my vice.

Maxx is made by GB (Griffiths&Beerens) GB bar co. I recommend getting a CBN wheel for it. Love mine. Do as another member said set up using a new chain. The angle degree is really just a reference point so you can repeat angles. I recommend 55* 25* 0* like mtngun said. The machine has the ability to grind both L & R cutters in to leave bur on the inside of the cutter. Don't forget to shape your grinding wheel and check/reshape often.
Shep

Last edited:
Maxx is made by GB (Griffiths&Beerens) GB bar co. I recommend getting a CBN wheel for it. Love mine. Do as another member said set up using a new chain. The angle degree is really just a reference point so you can repeat angles. I recommend 55* 25* 0* like mtngun said. The machine has the ability to grind both L & R cutters in to leave bur on the inside of the cutter. Don't forget to shape your grinding wheel and check/reshape often.
Shep

The only thing I could add to this is to remove the black from the wheel as this buildup can over heat the cutter. I like mine...

I have one also. Does anyone actually mess with the tilt to match the chain suppliers numbers? I can't figure out which way to move to ten (forward or back)based on the direction i am cutting the chain so I leave at 0. Also I have to use calipers to measure the cutter to get the lengths the same when I switch the chain direction, otherwise they do not match.

I have one also. Does anyone actually mess with the tilt to match the chain suppliers numbers? I can't figure out which way to move to ten (forward or back)based on the direction i am cutting the chain so I leave at 0. Also I have to use calipers to measure the cutter to get the lengths the same when I switch the chain direction, otherwise they do not match.
I'm having the same issue!!

I usually only slide the clamp off 0 for chisel not semi. This should help you
63b0dbc767705443df38268d0c8cc4da.jpg
fb099d639800bb2dff542e62bc6c9be6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to have a vac running when I am grinding to help gather some of the dust and am always checking it to make sure it is not smoldering in there. It is a busted upright repurposed so it has a clear dust tank.

Latest posts

Back