Campfire wood bundles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good fill-in business. The bundle season here kicks off late next month after the snows are about done. Most are used for campfires and fire pits. One time I had 50 in stock and two boy scout troops showed up unexpectedly and bought almost all of them. I threw them a big quantity discount.

Theft still tends to be a problem. People sometimes buy two and carry three away when your back is turned.

well just got back from a meeting with my local forestry ranger. found out a little more about the rules about transporting firewood. due to the outbreak of the e.a.b. thats a bug.. the state of mo. has sealed the state line. so as of now, no wood going out r coming in. which is not all bad for me. I don't have to worry about out of state vendors. march is a new season coming up for me. also my forestry rep. had a few good tips, on how to save some money an time, on some new timber sales coming up. hey the game is changing, anybody thinking about firewood, needs to check out the new rules, for their home area. just saying I pay the govt. enough already, don't need no fines, r any sales blocked. y'all have a good one today u2bwolfb4

well just got back from a meeting with my local forestry ranger. found out a little more about the rules about transporting firewood. due to the outbreak of the e.a.b. thats a bug.. the state of mo. has sealed the state line. so as of now, no wood going out r coming in. which is not all bad for me. I don't have to worry about out of state vendors. march is a new season coming up for me. also my forestry rep. had a few good tips, on how to save some money an time, on some new timber sales coming up. hey the game is changing, anybody thinking about firewood, needs to check out the new rules, for their home area. just saying I pay the govt. enough already, don't need no fines, r any sales blocked. y'all have a good one today u2bwolfb4

I don't ship any wood for that very reason. You pick up, you haul. What you do with it after you pick it up is your business.

I forgot to mention, also as of 2015, with new rules. in my state, the enforcement is on tighter, an so are the fines. also the govt. is getting more intense, about the information, an place of orgin. tags now. the U.S.D.A. , mostly the dept. of weights an measures, are cracking down on more of the slightly shady ones, not giving clear cu.ft. info. also the dept. of U.S.D.A. is also making a new ruling about firewood, one of them in the works, is if u can show them, that u have heated ur firewood to 160 degrees F. for 75 minutes in a closed container, an the core temp. was 160 degrees F. for the 75 minutes, they will sell u a premit, thats states ur wood is bug free, an it can be shipped anywhere.. cooking firewood the govt. way.. anybody else think thats a little out there,, have a good one today u2bwolfb4

If anybody is thinking about a diffrent way to bundle wood. I have tired plastic wrap, bags, tape, u name it.. I finally decided on ulines poly strapping system. it uses a hand tensioner, a sealer, poly strapping, and clips, have about 350.00 in all. first installment.. after that roll of poly strapping, and 2 boxes of clips, costs 118.00 out of that, I avg. about 850 bundles per. my size bundle is 11 x 11 x 18 the reason for the poly strap, was at a request from the park service. the plastic wrap, was getting tangled in their mowers, what can u do, just some people leaving trash. after some figuring, and talking to the park service. this was acceptable. not knocking the plastic wrap, I've tried both.. some of my gated condo clients prefer the poly over plastic.. they also like the fireplace logs debarked, less mess, an yes I get more for them. not saying how much, but for sure, worth my time. I have worked with both state and fed park services, over the years, selling bundles, bags, an bulk wood. for me its whatever the season.. later on u2bwolfb4

! so if the free trade is good where you are at reap the wild winds before they stop!! it stopped here for me 2 years ago and still have 5 cords of red oak bundled wood @1c.ft. to a bundle(640)..... so going to try again with "home bundles" @ $4.00?

! so if the free trade is good where you are at reap the wild winds before they stop!! it stopped here for me 2 years ago and still have 5 cords of red oak bundled wood @1c.ft. to a bundle(640)..... so going to try again with "home bundles" @ $4.00?
I agree that $4 apiece is the best overall price, assuming 8 logs to the bundle. I start with $5 each, then offer two for $9 and then three for $12. That pricing strategy has worked rather well and tends to reduce theft.

as for free trade, yep, still here for now, but u know how the grubument, is like first ur money,, just a thought for u chucker,, I picked up some sales, after talking to my local plant nursery, she was the one turned me on to the condo's.. might like ur home bundles..

I agree that $4 apiece is the best overall price, assuming 8 logs to the bundle. I start with $5 each, then offer two for $9 and then three for $12. That pricing strategy has worked rather well and tends to reduce theft.
all my bundled wood is split to a 3" average.... so 10 to 15 pieces to a bundle that is stacked in an 11" square jig.

When I started my biz. was getting 1.75 a bundle wholesale, but that was the price for a 500 min. order, plus del. fee. now getting 2.85 a bundle same min. 500 order for the parks. 3 times del. fee as before.. as for my others, I get 3.65 a bundle at the stores,, if I travel more than 30 miles out, I get 4.25 a bundle, my gated people get special treatment,, but its all about the money,,

my bundle # of pieces vary's any where from 12 to 14,, thats split wood,, my round wood, aka fireplace logs, 10 to a bundle, an the bundle is 12 x 12 x 16 short for the fireplace inserts they have. all special cut for them,, I deliver 100 at a time, just check in at gate, meet the manager at the wood lot, he counts, I stack I sweep up afterwards, he pay's me cash out of the wood fund,, we b.s. awhile nice all around.

hey U2 ?? !THANKS FOR THE WORD TO ANOTHER SALES OUTLET!! plenty of nurseries around here with the famous gull and mille lacs lakes residents and seasonal mostly....
ur welcome the lady who tipped me did all the landscaping around there..

well I finally got it done, I built me a cable boom loading trailer, took most of the winter, went to local junkyard, found a 10,000 lb axle with dual's 16 inch wheels. found a hyd. winch off ol wrecker, took the hyd's off of ol wood splitter, 28 ton, welded a 40 inch wide, 60 inch's tall steel mast, to 6 ft.x 12 ft. 4 inch channel steel trailer, boom swivel's and is telescoping, swing's side to side, anchored with 3/8 chain to mast. have a 10 hp briggs on it for power, ol pulley from wrecker with clevis for double lining if needed. with 2 to 20 log tongs with swivel, trailer jack that folds up for transport. 5 ft. with 2 inch ball hitch, with lights an all cost me 678.00 to build. to me [ priceless] works better than I thought. ugh, now back to work, that shop was warm,,, no more heaavy lifting,, yea,, can run cable out to 75 ft, pull the lever and drag it to the trailer, where I be at. pulls behind pickup great, I'am off.. have a good one u2bwolfb4

it sounds like the set up I have, except not as heavy duty... old 1/2 ton cheve truck frame and a hand winch backed up by a 4500 pound super winch. able to pull it behind the truck or use it with the tractor to haul 4' through 12' logs 1.5 cords at a time.

You guys will all find out one major thing: you need a good firewood supply and brawn. A half-ton pickup truck holds about 40 bundles at 8 logs to the bundle. Priced at $4 apiece net after theft, that's $160 a truckload after you do the cutting, splitting, wrapping, and selling.

You are not going to get rich at this business, but you will get lots of fresh air and exercise.

well I finally got it done, I built me a cable boom loading trailer, took most of the winter, went to local junkyard, found a 10,000 lb axle with dual's 16 inch wheels. found a hyd. winch off ol wrecker, took the hyd's off of ol wood splitter, 28 ton, welded a 40 inch wide, 60 inch's tall steel mast, to 6 ft.x 12 ft. 4 inch channel steel trailer, boom swivel's and is telescoping, swing's side to side, anchored with 3/8 chain to mast. have a 10 hp briggs on it for power, ol pulley from wrecker with clevis for double lining if needed. with 2 to 20 log tongs with swivel, trailer jack that folds up for transport. 5 ft. with 2 inch ball hitch, with lights an all cost me 678.00 to build. to me [ priceless] works better than I thought. ugh, now back to work, that shop was warm,,, no more heaavy lifting,, yea,, can run cable out to 75 ft, pull the lever and drag it to the trailer, where I be at. pulls behind pickup great, I'am off.. have a good one u2bwolfb4

Need some pics or video of that thing, sounds super handy!

it sounds like the set up I have, except not as heavy duty... old 1/2 ton cheve truck frame and a hand winch backed up by a 4500 pound super winch. able to pull it behind the truck or use it with the tractor to haul 4' through 12' logs 1.5 cords at a time.
ha ha what can we say [ great minds think alike ]

Back