Ms290 burnt up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, those tough nuts of yours......
LOL. Now stranger you know as well as me there is nothing to rebuilding a 029/290. Alittle time consuming but nothing hard. I actually had a thread on here somewhere in which I did one with pictures of each step. Heck I even named that thread One Mans Junk Another Man's Treasure. That was back in the day when I spent more time on here. Can't seem to find it on here anymore. Guess they deleted my good work. Anyway the only thing I would suggest is if you do have to replace the cylinder & piston go ahead and make it a 039/390 while you got it apart. Parts are about the same price so get more power for the buck. Oh just so you know that bar stud nearest to the clutch can be kinda tuff to get out but if you don't have the stud remover its possible to use two bar nuts to get it out. Some ole fart told me it couldn't be done without messing up the threads on the stub. I really got in his crawl when I took a camera and filmed it could be done without messing up the threads. He got all fussy with me. I kinda miss that guy, he was a lot fun on here. In a way he was right, using bar nuts to remove studs is not the proper way for sure. Course banging in a phone booth without protection isn't proper either but its be done and filmed too,LOL

StephenC... Looks like the muffler is salvagable!... I bet it doesn't have any carbon left in it!

Same goes for the bar.. might need to tap out that little bend in it.. The crank/conrod should be alright with just a little rub down with some crocus cloth.. The flywheel magnets may not have much left in them however.

Must have been a heck of a downer to see all your stuff burnt up.. Hope insurance covered it... You find the cause of the fire?

I'm going to replace the motor in my ms 290 tomorrow. Where can I find a service/ repaire Manuel?

Take your time, read the repair manual keeping in mind it is geared toward a trained Stihl tech with a toolchest full of Stihl special tools. Nothing that you will do to replace that motor will require anything but standard quality hand tools. A T-27 star driver is required, if you don't own one already. A quality sealant for your crankcase cap and a tube of medium strength threadlock for your bolts and .......beer.

Did you decide to do the 039 upgrade ?

hard to tell as only one side of that cyl is visible but my bet is you can clean it up and replace the toasted piston.

hard to tell as only one side of that cyl is visible but my bet is you can clean it up and replace the toasted piston.[/QUOT

There's alot of transfer from the piston. I put a new complete motor in it. I got it off of eBay it's a farmtek brand. I hope I can get a couple years out of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
Very possible the cylinder will clean up. If you decide not to use it, I'd pay shipping to my door. That will give me
the chance to use it -- if it cleans up. If you're going to use the MS390 set up from China, you won't need it. ;)

Latest posts

Back