Ash firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice load of logs! Lot of folks are running out this time of year, ash is in high demand right now. Cut, split, and brought inside, it's burnable in a short time. Thankfully no EAB here! Still 3 months of burnin' to go!

Nice load of logs! Lot of folks are running out this time of year, ash is in high demand right now. Cut, split, and brought inside, it's burnable in a short time. Thankfully no EAB here! Still 3 months of burnin' to go!

What species are taking over there as the ash dies out and is cut down and taken away?

Zogger, where I live and cut part of the bush is pretty wet. A fine tree has stepped in to fill the gap, willow. It's really too wet for the ash there anyway but willow? That's like giving away your Stihl and then buying a Husky and thinking you are actually going to be able to cut a tree with it.

Zogger, where I live and cut part of the bush is pretty wet. A fine tree has stepped in to fill the gap, willow. It's really too wet for the ash there anyway but willow? That's like giving away your Stihl and then buying a Husky and thinking you are actually going to be able to cut a tree with it.

Well, they do suck up the water great. Then maybe later once the willows are established, some other species can get in there. Here in the bogs, willow is the pioneer, but then sweetgum and white pine will start growing.

I don't own the property but 40 years ago when my family did we dug an open ditch around the perimeter of the bush. This helped to stop the water from flowing into the bush and it helped drain water out of the bush. That ditch is now almost all grown over and about 40' of over growth has sprung up between it and what used to be the edge of the bush. This is where I've been cutting all the poplar from, it grew up so well because of the steady water source.
We really don't have enough of a die off from the borer yet that any species has taken over but it will likely be quick growth trees like poplar, willow etc in most open areas. I assume the drier bushes will continue with maple, cherry, ironwood etc that has been growing there all along with the ash.

Willow replacing ash is like buying a stihl and cutting next to a johnny. Ash will be sorely missed, its 60% of what i'm selling due to EAB......

Doesn't everyone like a nice piece of ash?
Why yes...yes they do.

And whats better than a piece of nice ash?

A lot of nice ash.

I felt like I should of grabbed some ones and just start making it rain when these showed up yesterday:D

D9155761-2D7A-4C8A-ABD1-3DE45FB8D6A2_zpss0lojz34.jpg

What species are taking over there as the ash dies out and is cut down and taken away?
Surprisingly, Ash. The EAB / Bug is gone from the area and the saplings are doing well. I just wonder if in a year or two the Bug isn't going to come back for them.
This is my 5th year of cutting exclusively ash at a rate of ~12-13 cord a year on average. Can't get them down fast enough for firewood buyers and to avoid loss to rot/decay.

What price does a cord fetch at this time of year Jegushee?
I thought I read $400 per in New Hampshire recently.

I have seen many upset folks posting warnings on CL about
cords being short/green etc. during this brutal winter.

I like burning ash...does go quick though.

It sure will be a sad day when its not as abundant as it is right now.

Yeah that's what I think too.

It may not have the heat value of other hardwoods but its a great tree for making maximum cord production quickly.

Straight trunks, small limbs, easy splitting.

Ash goin for bout 275 300 a cord up here in Maine. I sell lot treelength. Only way I sell split is by pick up loads. No prob gettin 100 bucks for a pick up load this time a year. Especially with this insane winter

Back