Muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncturkeypro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I just got my hands on a husky 550 xp. Been a stihl guy my whole life but was lookin to downsize and lose some weight and the 550 just felt good in my hands. Anyway, I am looking for some help in recommending what to do for a muffler mod on this saw. Anybody done one? Got pics? Any help is greatly appreciated. Seems like a great site for saw owners.

[QUOTE"Jeepsnchainsaws, post: 5246014, member: 130432"]View attachment 408670 I just finish this little guy. This 26.2 cc saw rips! Muffler mods work on any 2 stroke , tuned pipes are more torque, more RPMs, more throttle response. I have swapped the X-pipe back and forth with the original muffler and it is like OMG! What is this![/QUOTE]
That one doubles as hand warmers!

[QUOTE"Jeepsnchainsaws, post: 5246014, member: 130432"]View attachment 408670 I just finish this little guy. This 26.2 cc saw rips! Muffler mods work on any 2 stroke , tuned pipes are more torque, more RPMs, more throttle response. I have swapped the X-pipe back and forth with the original muffler and it is like OMG! What is this!
That one doubles as hand warmers![/QUOTE]
Lol, It's a good winter saw.

My 550xp that was ported by Terry has had a muff mod done. Just seems to be opened up at the deflector and i would say it has been gutted and opened up inside as well. Really runs strong. Almost no difference in cutting speed alongside my 372xt. 372 has an opened up muffler also. 550xp has a 325 16" bar full chisel, 372 has a 3/8 18" full chisel. Only once the wood gets much larger than the 16" bar on the 550 does the 372 start to pull ahead. I am cutting Eucalyptus and blackwood and other native hardwoods exclusively. Very impressed with how that little 550 runs in big wood. :)

Back