Dipping into next season's supply!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I can't quite believe it, but I'm nearing the end of my 7 cord supply for this heating season and had to clear a path through three feet of packed snow to get ready to start using my 2015-2016 supply. I had a log truck load delivered in August and got it all split and piled up in a semi-holzhauzen format before the end of September. I didn't bother shoveling access to it because I didn't think I'd go through 7 cords in my Harman TL300. Not only did I burn almost 7 cords (90% red oak), but I'm going through quite a bit of heating oil too. Tough winter!

I can't quite believe it, but I'm nearing the end of my 7 cord supply for this heating season and had to clear a path through three feet of packed snow to get ready to start using my 2015-2016 supply. I had a log truck load delivered in August and got it all split and piled up in a semi-holzhauzen format before the end of September. I didn't bother shoveling access to it because I didn't think I'd go through 7 cords in my Harman TL300. Not only did I burn almost 7 cords (90% red oak), but I'm going through quite a bit of heating oil too. Tough winter!
same here, got about 1 cord total 1/4 of pine and 3/4 mix of cherry, red oak, locust, and silver maple left in the shed, and 4+ ft of snow to go through to get to my stacks, im not moving any until I get down to about 2-3 days worth then ill move another cord into the shed...
usually I fill my entire shed in October, and I usually have 2-3 cord left over in the spring, this year I wanted to have the shed almost empty by spring so I could burn up the oldest wood, so I didn't fill it completely full, and now I need to move more in:dumb2:

Same stove, biting my nails on the remainder of this winters wood, 2 cord left and hope April is warm as hell!!!!

Just got into next years last week. Really didn't want to as still have a bit of good and dry left but figured if I had to start burning the uncovered it was better to mix it with the good and dry over the next month than to burn all wet.

I'm still trying to burn up last years wood. I find to much dead elm and ash everywhere. I fill my stack in the garage every time I come home with wood.:chop:

I've only burned 1/2 of what I normally go through. I have started cutting for myself and my uncle and with the wood I cut late in 2014 I probably won't have to cut any this year.:nofunny:

I have run almost 3.5cords through my insert, and have around 3cords left in the pile for this year. It is about the same as last year. If it continues to stay cold until May I figure I will end up burning 4.5cords total. With my insert, it does not seem to matter how bad the winter is, as I go through about the same amount of wood. The only difference is my house will be warmer inside. My stove is a little too small for my house "made the mistake of listening to the dealer", so it runs pretty much wide open all the time.

After last winter's debacle I really focused on a getting enough c/s/s. 10 cords looked great
in October...guess what, this winter is even worse! I will make it but not with optimal wood.

I put 5½ cord in the basement last fall... half of it Bur Oak, the other half a mix of whatever (including Box Elder and soft maple). I've got enough left for this week, but I'm gonna' be needin' to move more in this weekend. Considerin' how early I started burnin', how cold October through December was, and how much of what I burned was "junk" wood... I'm pretty happy with my consumption. Figurin' somethin' less than a cord should push me to the end. Appears there should be enough left in the stacks for next season... meaning everything I'm doin' now is for 2016/17.

What are you trying to heat? I'm way farther north of you and heat bout 3200sqft with a older OWB and haven't burn that much.

4600 square foot stone house built in 1811, 2' thick walls. I could only afford one stove, runs wide open but once I get the walls heated in October the house stays about 65* all winter.Burning about 9-10 cord a year but once I add another insert at far end fireplace I should increase house temp and not be wide open while keeping current consumption rate.

...didn't think I'd go through 7 cords in my Harman TL300. Not only did I burn almost 7 cords (90% red oak), but I'm going through quite a bit of heating oil too.
...same here...
Same stove, biting my nails on the remainder of this winters wood...
...does not seem to matter how bad the winter is, as I go through about the same amount of wood. The only difference is my house will be warmer inside.
...house stays about 65* all winter. Burning about 9-10 cord a year...
My house stays a constant, steady, even 70°-71°, the whole house, every room... on what appears (after a second year of use) to be something either side of 6 cord, depending... and not one single gallon of LPG used (the furnace gas valve is shut off).
That's burning in a "smoke dragon" (non-EPA certified) box that requires no attention (none) other than loading... just toss the wood in, slam the door, walk away.
I did burn 9 cord one season (a bit over actually)... that was the season I tried using an EPA certified box (it weren't a "colder than normal" season neither)... and temperatures were completely impossible to keep constant, steady, and even in the house.

I'm on track to burn about what I did last long cold season... 6½ cord.
But this year near half of that wood was of lesser quality (much lesser), I started earlier, and the early part of the season was much colder than "normal".
I guess I need the whole "more heat from less wood" thing explained to me again... b'cause in real world, cold climate, heatin' conditions I just ain't seein' it. Heck, even if I could save ½ a cord or so... I wouldn't give up the convenience of the constant, steady, even 70°-71° requiring nothin' more than load, slam the door, and walk away (well... I do haf'ta yank the ash drawer and dump it 2-4 times a week, depending).

I'm just about finished the 4 cords of maple, beech and polpar I put aside for this year. For the first time in a long time, I'll have to dip into next years 4 cord supply. The unfortunate part is the accessible wood is all oak, which I hate to burn during shoulder season.

I have burnt 7 cords and on my last 1/2 cord in the shed. Have a couple logs pulled out for next year and will probably have to use them now. Our winter hasn't been bad at all but I have had less than ideal firewood this season. Just finished my black walnut stockpile and now working on the poplar. If I had oak, locust or something better I would have burnt about half of what I have. Glad I don't live in the snow capital north. My hats off to you guys.

My cord count really depends on length of season as opposed to cold of season. Last year I was 10 cord because I was burning into May. I refuse to turn on the electric baseboard because that would just diminish all the hard work of c/s/s! I try to have my softer woods set in the wood shed for the shoulder seasons so, again I hope April is warm!

i got 7 cord left plus i already have next winters supply back in january so im doing ok but this winter has still sucked.
i only have burned 5 cord since november.

two homes heated with wood also some for my mom . She has an insert and uses it just on weekends gave her about 2 cord last fall .I had to bring some ash down to my house that my daughter lives in, she went through 6 cord . I still have about a cord left in the basement . In all about 14 cord of wood . I still have 10 in reserve in the barn and that much outside in unsplit rounds . If it keeps going this way I will need to buy some more properties:rock:

Burned 2 full tri-axle loads so car..

Latest posts

Back