ProMac 555

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gw165

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Picked up a promac 555. Does anybody have any info or opinions on this saw? Thank you in advance!

no, it's a promac 555. I did see it listed on the site you linked. Mostly curious to see if anybody has any experience with one. thanks

It is a short production variant of the -10 series of MAC's. The PM 55 had points ignition, and the 555 should have electronic. There were only a few of those -10 saws in the 57cc version, and the 555 is one of them. I believe that this saw is pretty much a PM 10-10s, with the only real change being a name badge. It would be nice to have one someday, just to add to the collection. The 555 is overshadowed by the 7-10/PM-700 machines at 70cc on the same chassis. It is a good saw overall with TONS of parts around. It will make a great occasional use firewood saw. Your fingers and ears WILL vibrate. Order a fuel line and carb kit and I bet you can have it back in the wood. All of those -10 saws are a hoot with a 16" bar and a sharp chain.

I have a 10-10S and dad has a 55, same basic saw. Great firewood machine, dead reliable, and enough parts out there that they'll never die. Easy to work on, too.

As noted the 10-10S and Pro Mac 55/555/570 are all 1.812" bore and a bit unique in the 10 Series line up.

According to the IPL's that I have, the 10-10S were electronic ignition, the Pro Mac 55 and 555 came both ways, and the Pro Mac 570 was strictly electronic ignition. The Pro Mac 55/555/570 all share the same flywheel, the 10-10S is a different part number. The 570 has much better anti-vibration technology but of course the parts are all interchangable. I picked up a 10-10S this fall with the 570 style antivibration mounting.

Good basic saws, more oomph than a 10-10 and as CPR poiints out, lots of parts available.

View attachment 211294

Mark

P.S. I have the 10-10S, PM55, and PM570 in my collection already, still need one with the 555 name badge - hint, hint

Just picked up a pair of 55's from Moe on this site. One needs a piston and cylinder. Can I use a 555 piston and cylinder if I find one with points? Or are there other saws I can use also? A new cylinder is available believe it or not. It's a short block assy. for $125. Not cost effective to go that route. Trying to save this saw from the recycle pile. Thanks for any advise!

Thanks Mark. It was late last night and I didn't catch all that in the previous posts. That opens up more possibilities. I'm close to Randyssmallenginerepair. He can get me rings but i think he may be a bit high on price. $25 for a pair. Any suggestions on where I can get parts besides the bay?

......I'm close to Randyssmallenginerepair. He can get me rings but i think he may be a bit high on price. $25 for a pair. Any suggestions on where I can get parts besides the bay?

You lucky man. Maybe you can get your picture in front of the infamous Dodge truck.

Anyway, $25 is not horrible for good rings. Do NOT buy cheap ones in a white box with no name. By the time you pay shipping on a less expensive set, you be at $25 anyway. Might as well keep the $ in your local economy.

You lucky man. Maybe you can get your picture in front of the infamous Dodge truck.

Anyway, $25 is not horrible for good rings. Do NOT buy cheap ones in a white box with no name. By the time you pay shipping on a less expensive set, you be at $25 anyway. Might as well keep the $ in your local economy.

Cool, just didn't know if that was a good price or not. I bought a 10-10s from him about a month ago. It's a real beast for 57cc. He's a great guy and has lots of resources for older saws.

Back