066.....What happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it snowing or raining when you were cutting? Any possibility there was moisture in your fuel? Usually scoring on the intake side only is from something washing the oil/lube off the intake side...also known as water score. Condensation forming in the carb maybe from cold temps? Or debris ingestion but like you said...debris probably wouldn't cause the transfer. Something had to of washed that cylinder. My .02.
It was -6 degrees

I'll have to check, but I don't think so.
I've already began cleaning the cylinder so there is a chance that if there was a burr, it's gone now
Your piston scars match the bottom of the intake port. I have run coarse sandpaper on the floor of the intake and made a burr that I didn't realize and it made marks on the piston like yours.

Your piston scars match the bottom of the intake port. I have run coarse sandpaper on the floor of the intake and made a burr that I didn't realize and it made marks on the piston like yours.
I see what youre saying.
This saw had never been apart prior to last night.

As knobby said, leaky decomps have killed many saws, but if it was comfortably and clearly 4 stroking out of the cut, and cleaning up with pressure, then the tune should have been fine regardless of leak. All the damage on the intake side speaks to friction rather than heat as the root cause.

Why the phuck would I do that?

Usually when a guy scores a piston he diagnoses the issue.

Maybe it was an air leak, filtration issue, burrs on the port, busted up bearing cage, bad fuel....

Or maybe the aftermarket parts gremlins flew in from the Far East the last time you ran it and threw a fine mixture of aluminum melting/scoring dust directly into the intake pipe of your saw and damaged that beautiful OEM piston beyond repair.

FWIW......I'm not a noob at tuning a saw. Far from it actually.
Nor did the saw act like it had an air leak.....AT ALL.
Ran and idled perfect. Plenty of snort too.
Clean HD air filter.
I'm just baffled.

I would have never found this problem had I not decided to pull the muffler to open up the 2nd port a bit more.

I am going to say this one was a cold seize. If most of the scuffing occurred where the piston has the most mass such as the webbing, points in the cold seize direction.

Back