I'm done stacking!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why you need to cut a hole in the tote. I think everyone is looking at this to closely. The awesome part about having totes is handling the wood less.

I'm sure my process isn't perfect, but it's getting better.

I grab 8 totes. 4 wide, 2 deep.
Get the grapple bucket and dump the wood in, filling the totes about 3/4 of the way.

Jump out and rearrange the wood in totes to fill in the gaps. This takes about 10 min.

Jump back in the skidloader and top off the totes.

Drop the grapple, and grab the forks.

Move the totes to the drying area.

When I need wood, I move a couple totes over to the wood burner.

When I get near the bottom of the tote, I tip the tote on its side. No need to climb in. No need to cut a hole in the tote.

Overall, I feel like I've drastically reduced the amount of times I have to handle the wood.
Hey I never thought of that.. just dump it on its side when nearly empty so you don't have to reach in. Joesell, I am still interested if you have some extras. I broke my finger and didn't cut much wood in fall. I will buy some from you in spring if you have extra ones.

Don't cut them. I just reach over the top and then when the wood gets low just flip them on their sides. These things are very lightweight, when they are empty I can load them on the gooseneck by myself. These are very convenient

Attachments

• IMG_20140927_180517357.jpg
    IMG_20140927_180517357.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 83
Gooseneck? We don't need no stinking gooseneck. Put your backs into, you marsh mellows.

I got 18 of my 21 totes filled and down by the boiler today. I wish I had a better idea of how much they hold. Next year will be the first year using a bunch of them.

Intermediate Bulk Containers. IBCs for short. I used to work for a agronomy business. The valves would go bad, or the pallet underneath would get damaged. We cut up hundreds of these a year. We also tossed the super sacks that seed came in,too. I remember emptying an entire semi load of empty seed bags into the dumpster.

Your best bet for finding them is to go to a spray service or co-op in your area. Chance are they've got dozens of IBCs with bad valves out back Be careful, though. Some of the stuff hauled in them is pretty nasty...

Finally got some

5dfed54034d9514dae0e9add9ce8678a.jpg

Bags are easy filled and not that expensive £3 for solid side or £6 for mosquito mesh thats what $5 and $8 roughly.

Attachments

• bulkbags.JPG
    bulkbags.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    796.4 KB · Views: 68
Bags are easy filled and not that expensive £3 for solid side or £6 for mosquito mesh thats what $5 and $8 roughly.

Nice looking wood! Is there a "box" or crate the bags go into while filling? How many bags you need to get to that price?

I could easily move them around with skidloader and forks. Would be about a couple weeks or wood in each

we use iron men I think they are called, frames shown in this picture, just a bungee cord on each end through a handle and it hangs suspended while you fill them useful if you stick the legs into either side of a pallet stops them falling over we buy bales of 1,000 bags at a time each company has different min order numbers and you can also go to likes of ebay for 10 and 15 at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    869.6 KB · Views: 56
It's done a reasonably similar way here too.

Are you delivering with a truck crane? Handy to get over fences, etc.
Ever get the bags back from customers and re-use?
If cutting your own holes in the bags, ever thought about using a clicker press? Doing it manually is one of the worst pain in the proverbial about these bags in my opinion.
Are you cutting drain holes in the bottom?
Are you having the bags printed with your company details and if so, is this in that advised price?
Do you know where the FIBC's are made?

We use a merc sprinter 4x4 with a palfinger crane the unbranded cubic meter bags were delivered Friday into a basement in Edinburgh.
We get probably 75% of bags back, we used a blowtorch but we stopped doing that style of bag and switched exclusively to the vented bags now, better air circulation and doesn't retain water if the rain gets through the tarps. we didn't have holes in the bottom we were worried about integrity when you lifted them. we are not having the new ones printed but we might in the future once we get through the stock we have. the company we use imports from India they might also use China.

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    765.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • Misc phone pics 22-4-15 697.jpg
    Misc phone pics 22-4-15 697.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 68
Thank you. I too feel the mesh bags are the go. Not quite ready to buy 1000 to reach the minimum order quantities from China but am not too far away from that. One more season maybe. Then the price is about $5 each, or was last time I asked them to quote.

our supplier brings them in but then we can select quantity needed and we usually take 250 a quarter over the year we use 3 sizes 1m3 0.73m3 and 0.25m3 have been looking at some from austria I think they are based look to be a nice size for shipping on pallets.

Just made arrangements to pickup 68 more IBC totes. Yippee!

I already have the wood split to fill them. [emoji3]

Dang!!! That is a lot of wood!!!!

I had a line a few but they backed out right before I was gonna get em. What you paying per, out of curiosity?

Latest posts

Back