under estimated my seasoned wood. think I overheated my magicheat reclaimer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys,

lit my stove for the first time this season. this is actually my first season for I didnt start heating with wood till feb of last yr.... anyway

I think I under estimated how much heat is in my seasoned wood. I packed the woodstove with my seasoned wood and in 25 minutes It was all you could do to stand in front of the stove. Last yr. I had to keep the stove pretty stoked to keep any heat for I was using unseasoned wood, the stove is a heavy duty stove and can take the heat, however I dont think the reclaimer can.

when the stove was lit and at its hottest, the fan on the reclaimer cut off. I shut the fire down via damper and it cut back on automatically when it cooled down. Now the thing does its own thing and runs 24/7. wont cut off unless i unplug it. Im guessing fried thermostat.

Its under warranty but Im thinking about just taking it out and doing away with it. its a shame because it really is a nice. my FIL has had the same one in his stove for 20 yrs.

Im going to send this one back and get a new one for it is under warranty, but i'll probably sell it or throw it on the shelf

any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
This time of year you don't have to fill the whole thing up, a couple pieces will do. I don't have a reclaimer but was interested in getting one, but not sure how well they work.

If you have that much heat going out the flue which is being waisted of course maybe a barometric draft regulator could help slow the burn down giving you longer burn times and more controllable heats.It would also give the heat exchanger/firebox time to exchange the heats made.

Last edited:
We had a magic heat a long time ago, and there was a rod that you pushed and pulled that cleaned the tubes.

About two weeks of firing the stove and the tubes buckled enough so the cleaner no longer worked. Then when you couldn't clean them any more they plugged up and killed the draft.

It went straight to the scrap heap. Not a very good design, but it threw good heat while it lasted.

Bob

I don't have a reclaimer but was interested in getting one, but not sure how well they work.

Growing up we had 2 of them in a old boxwood stove in the garage. Had a MagicHeat and one we built ourselves out of stainless.

They both worked well, never had an issue with the thermostat and got back alot of heat.

I would like to put one on my epa, but am more worried about the flue cooling off too much.

We had a magic heat a long time ago, and there was a rod that you pushed and pulled that cleaned the tubes.

About two weeks of firing the stove and the tubes buckled enough so the cleaner no longer worked. Then when you couldn't clean them any more they plugged up and killed the draft.

It went straight to the scrap heap. Not a very good design, but it threw good heat while it lasted.

Bob

Dunno, my Dad has used one for 20+ years in the shop without trouble.

I've considered getting one many times. Just not worth the price new and even used they want good money. I'm also conserved with buildup in the chimney. I know I lose a lot of heat out my flue with my outdated stove. It can be as hot as 400*F when I'm trying to maintain >70*F house and it's -20*F outside.

I used one for years. I burned 24/7... once a year, i'd pull it apart and clean it. usually right before i started my first fire.

'magicheat reclaimer' ? No kidding they're still around.

I remember them advertised on TV in the late 70's maybe...

...and the unicorn conical wood splitter that went on a wheel less jacked up car. lol

You sure got your moneys worth out of that relic. good one.

Back