I declare the official opening of my wooding season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a little oil in the gas last night and laughed think about you guys. It was the first time for me. I immediately blamed the beer cause it's not my fault. :givebeer:

I have 11 ash and maple trees in y yrd that I need to get on the ground before it completely thaws. E problem will be what to do with th brush until the snow clears enough to get it dragged to the front for pick up.....commence wooding!

Well, I'm proud to say I've never accidentally dumped oil or fuel in the wrong tank, forgot to fill the oil, or put the chain on backwards.

However, that doesn't mean I'm exempt from the dumb-guy-with-a-chainsaw club:

View attachment 411133

Is that one of those special bars that lets you cut the back side limbs from the front side?

The last time I was out, I replaced a rocked chain. Put it on backwards. Took it off and promptly put it on backwards again...the property owner was there and talking to me. Since the truck was almost full, I gave up and went home. Figured I should do that before I picked the saw up by the bar while running or something similarly stupid!

Outside of roughly a month off to do a little skiing and just cause, I don't have an off season. 2 years ago, 101 cords. This past year, 130 cords. This year's goal is 150 to 160 cords.

You haven't made it to the bottom of the barrel until you have put your chain on backwards. In front of the customer. Who pointed that out.
That's the way you're supposed to do it if you'r cutting aluminum culverts. Now the poly culverts, you want to do those with the chain on like you're cutting wood.

I got 2 1/2 cords done this weekend. Not what I was planning on doing, but it's being cut for someone moving a fence. Can't pass up the free wood. Blocked up another cord for one of his renters, they don't have a chain saw. Nice to be able to block it and not have to split it and load it. It was a winter blowdown, on the ground but wedged in around three other trees, all kinds of bind. Got the opportunity to show my stepson how to cut the saw out of a pinch. And how to wedge to keep it from happening again.

Worse Ive done is run over my 170 with the tractor, then a week later I ran over my 024 with my truck. Luckly the truck was lighter than the tractor.

Good luck, and safe cutting to all wood cutters out there...

...still knee deep snow here, almost takes maximum effort to dump a bucket of ashes in the garden.

Pouring fuel mix in the oil tank sounds like something I would do. Surprisingly though I have yet to do that. Any of you guys have issues untangling chain? I bring along a few rolls when I scrounge to swap out after every 3-4 tanks. My kids get a kick out of my rants after I've been fiddling around with the tangled chain.

Pouring fuel mix in the oil tank sounds like something I would do. Surprisingly though I have yet to do that. Any of you guys have issues untangling chain? I bring along a few rolls when I scrounge to swap out after every 3-4 tanks. My kids get a kick out of my rants after I've been fiddling around with the tangled chain.

HAHAHAHAHA!

"Quick, get your phone, we got to get this, dad's going mental again over those stupid chains"! "Once we have ten of these, up to youtube"!

hehehehe
Lay 'em flat. don't do it hanging until you can do it the easy way. Lay flat on something. Pull them out. They either come undone clean, or you'll have one obvious easy to see loop.

OK, I got one, see if anyone can top it...first time with a saw with a chainbrake, it clicks, locks, chain don't go, I am WT SERIOUS F IS THIS?!? I am freaked out, think I broke the boss's saw (old boss). I drive to town to the small engine guy, he goes CLICK and starts bustin a gut!

HAHAHAHAHA!

"Quick, get your phone, we got to get this, dad's going mental again over those stupid chains"! "Once we have ten of these, up to youtube"!

hehehehe
Lay 'em flat. don't do it hanging until you can do it the easy way. Lay flat on something. Pull them out. They either come undone clean, or you'll have one obvious easy to see loop.

OK, I got one, see if anyone can top it...first time with a saw with a chainbrake, it clicks, locks, chain don't go, I am WT SERIOUS F IS THIS?!? I am freaked out, think I broke the boss's saw (old boss). I drive to town to the small engine guy, he goes CLICK and starts bustin a gut!
I fold........you are the King!!!!!:)

There is at least one secret to how to do it but if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Harry K

HAHAHAHAHA!

hehehehe

BTDT. Bought a MS310 in the erly years of production. First saw I had with a chain break after some 20 years of 'wooding'. First time it locked I couldn't figure out the problem. Took it home, put on bench, pried the bar cover off. Cleaned saw, tried to put it together and the cover wouldn't go. Finally dawned on me. Put the cover in the vice and 'click'.

Harry K

HAHAHAHAHA!

hehehehe

Yep.

Just like a puzzle and less frustrating when the chain is lying flat on something.

For embarrassment: Splitter wouldn't start, checked plug, it was fouled. To town and back for new plug. Still not start. hooked up and towed to the fix-it guy, unhooked and noticed the plug wire lying loose on the block, hooked that up, one pull and running. Not bad except the fix-it guy was watching and knew why I was bringing it in.

Harry K

When I was in high school I backed the tractor over our L65. Cracked the clutch cover (still using it) and bent the tip of the bar. The sprocket seized shortly afterward and bought the bar that I am just now wearing out.

Back