Insurance company.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Says I need to move the wood stove. They are right in that I am only 15" away from the closest wall. The "hearth" for lack of a better term for what the previous owner built, is to small as well. I have until Oct to get it moved or our premium goes up 25%.

Stove is not new. It was installed when the addition was built 20 years ago.

I was going to replace the chimney once burning season is over anyway, but wasn't anticipating having to add fittings to the inside chimney.

Says I need to move the wood stove. They are right in that I am only 15" away from the closest wall. The "hearth" for lack of a better term for what the previous owner built, is to small as well. I have until Oct to get it moved or our premium goes up 25%.

Stove is not new. It was installed when the addition was built 20 years ago.

I was going to replace the chimney once burning season is over anyway, but wasn't anticipating having to add fittings to the inside chimney.

How about another insurance co and maybe they wont walk though the house?

How about another insurance co and maybe they wont walk though the house?

We get very good rates from them for various reasons. I shop around frequently and never find a reason to switch. Moving the stove isn't a big deal, just wasn't anticipating the news at the end of the day so it caught me off guard.

Update to a new stove the has closer clearance recommendations...they are all different, some drasically

Always a possibility. But I just rebuilt this stove so its going to have to burn up some of its equity first.

I had a pissy insurance woman look at the two cords of Red Oak I had seasoning and then tell me that I burn too much wood.
I asked her if she knew anything about curing firewood or that if she knew that all wood needs one to three years seasoning time before burning it and why.
She knew nothing. She was just there to cause trouble, so we dumped their arse and went to a smaller local insurance company.

I agree with the others that recommend updating the stove. I think you'll be pleased with the better efficiency.

Also give serious thought on the now lower kindling temps 20 years of pyrolysis has rendered your immediate stove area.

Sure you could go another 20 years without incident but keep in mind every night you fire up you HAVE to be right with your decision...fire only has to be right once.

I'm not displeased with our insurance company. We get good rates bundling everything together and get a discount through our credit union.

The stove..... Yes I would like increased efficiency. When we bought the house and I started assessing what things needed I turned my attention to the stove. It needed a new fireback, refractory, all new bricks and a re gasket. I told the better half we should just replace it as it would be a better investment. We have extenuating circumstances right now regarding her mom's health so we decided to rebuild it now and get a few more years out of it.

It'll get replaced eventually, there's just to much other stuff going on right now that needs our attention and resources.

Back