Testing Your Gas For Ethanol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idahonative

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went to get some no ethanol gas the other day and I was thinking to myself...how do I really know if this gas is what they say it is. Not sure if this subject has been posted before but I found this an interesting way for the average person to test their gas.

Yep... that's best test.
What you end up with is two worthless solutions after the separation...
A mixture of water and ethanol on the bottom, and an extremely low octane gasoline on the top (like 80-85 depending).
That's what can happen in your fuel tank or storage container (or even in the storage tank at the pump)... and either solution can quite quickly destroy a small engine (again, depending).
Leave it sit long enough and the ethanol will eventually separate from the excess water, and that's when destruction becomes near certain... at best, your carburetor is screwed.

Got this from another forum. I don't usually think anything to do with Hitler is funny but this had me laughing to tears:

HAHAHAHA! It never ends! Poor fearless leaders, always undone by their lackeys!

So, I'll see you one Hitler, and raise you one Dark Helmet!

AUDIO NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR IF KIDS AROUND

Wow $6 bucks. And I believe current S/H is flat rate $9.99 regardless of purchase amount. Just sayin, but I think I'd rather have a 12-pk of Corona Lights with a couple of limes for the same money, enjoy them, then end up with a clear bottle for every month of the year to test with. If they're sellin those things for that kinda money, I think we're all in the wrong business. :)

Wow $6 bucks. And I believe current S/H is flat rate $9.99 regardless of purchase amount. . . I'd rather have a 12-pk of Corona Lights with a couple of limes . . .

Just an example of a simple, calibrated product that helps you estimate the actual percentage of alcohol, and wastes less gas than a Sprite bottle.

You could make your own if the price freaks you out. And shipping is 'free' if you add it to another order.

Think of all the Coronas you could enjoy if you did not have to deal with ethanol problems.

Philbert

Just an example of a simple, calibrated product that helps you estimate the actual percentage of alcohol, and wastes less gas than a Sprite bottle.

You could make your own if the price freaks you out. And shipping is 'free' if you add it to another order.

Think of all the Coronas you could enjoy if you did not have to deal with ethanol problems.

Philbert

You got that right...the Corona to ethanol problem ratio. Certainly had my share of the latter. We'll both actually. :)

Philbert

If an exact ratio of ethanol is what someone desires, the product you posted would be helpful. I don't want gas with ANY ethanol in it for my power equipment and that's what I thought was cool about the plastic bottle. It's a free test to determine if the gas contains ethanol. The percentage doesn't really concern me because I'm avoiding it all together. And no need to "waste" gas. A few ounces of water and a few ounces of gas will tell me what I need to know. Drawing a line on the bottle will give you an idea of percentage after the ethanol separates from the gas. It will look like the amount of water in the bottle has increased.

Drawing a line on the bottle will give you an idea of percentage after the ethanol separates from the gas. It will look like the amount of water in the bottle has increased.
Yes... and no.
The ethanol will be saturated with water... meaning the apparent volume of ethanol will be a bit different than the actual ethanol volume.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just stirrin' the pot a little... I wouldn't pay for the kit either. Like you said, the plastic bottle with the magic marker line would tell me everything I needed (or wanted) to know.

Yes... and no.
The ethanol will be saturated with water... meaning the apparent volume of ethanol will be a bit different than the actual ethanol volume.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just stirrin' the pot a little... I wouldn't pay for the kit either. Like you said, the plastic bottle with the magic marker line would tell me everything I needed (or wanted) to know.

The best way to do this is using a volumetric cylinder. Mix the fuel and water 1:1. The increase in volume of the aqueous layer (lower) represents the ethanol pretty closely. There is a certain uncertainty, as mixtures form different densities/volumes. For a quick test 1% won't mean a rats azz.

Want to be cruder? Use a 50 cent test tube and a cork. Mark the tube with a sharpie using a teaspoon or eyedropper for graduations.

BTW, I have taught college chemistry for > 20 years.........but I paid for school chopping wood and lumber.

Yer making me cry. I have to drive over an hour to get E-free, so I don't. :cry::cry:

How much two stroke do you go through in a year? I know you can get five gallon pails of premixed, good no ethanol gas and good mix oil.VP-SEF 40 or 50:1, around 80-100 bucks depending where you get it.

or ya know..seeing as how you are in such a drought area for good non ethanol..become a dealer for it! Get yours at wholesale then.

The marking is incorrect. For small engines and anything made before 1990, "None" and "Too much" is all we need.

There are few areas in NH where E Zero is available. And with humidity and frequent temperature changes E anything miserable. I make sure to keep my fuel containers closed. Leaving fuel exposed to air overnight results in obvious water contamination. I don't mind allowing the fuel to sit then drawing off the E0 remainder. I have Toluene and Xylene here and I'm not afraid to use them.

It's tough to convey in subtitles how angry he really is.
3ce6.jpg

Back