WOOD STOVE FLUE SIZE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
Reaction score
My homemade wood burning stove is designed to turn wood into coals for cooking.
It has a total of 64 cubic feet on the inside, only the top half will contain wood, the bottom half will be under the grate and used to catch and shovel out the coals.
My question is, how big does the flue need to be on a 4X4X4 stove?

Have you looked at outdoor wood boilers? I dont know how big their fire boxes are but they are fairly large and might give you an idea. I dont recall seeing any "off the shelf" boilers with a flue larger than 8 or 10"...

I have some 10 inch square, I'm gonna use it I guess. I feel like 12 round would be perfect but I don't have anything to base it on.
I'll report back.

That's a monster. How big is the air inlet to the stove? Are you using te heat for anything? This will hold half a cord!

4x4 doors and 4 foot deep, yea, holds A lot of wood. It would be nice to heat water with it but no, it doesn't heat anything, I only use the coals.

Air inlet, it has four doors, two above the grate and two below it. the bottom two could be opened to inlet all I wanted to,

A far better charcoal making method is to load hardwood into a nearly closed container that can be heated by an external heat source. A large drum that has a replaceable lid can work well. I fill the drum with hard wood chunks, prop the lid end up on a rack that holds the end of the barrel about 18 inches off the ground with the small bung hole up, and use scrap wood of all kinds to build a fire around and under the barrel. The small bung is left out and as the wood inside is heated the gases that are forced from it are lit and when there is no longer a flame coming from there the charcoal is done. The fire under is alowed to burn out and the bung is screwed in, sealing the drum until it cools.
Using the direct burn method uses more wood of higher quality, requries much more time and results in a lower grade of charcoal

Pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 18
10 inch sq, 14 sq or 18 round.
That's what I have on hand.
Pick one or tell me what to go get.
Getting in the short rows.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
You don't want a strong draft if your trying to make coals I'd pick 8" you don't want a tall chimney either . The smaller the diameter the more vaccum effect same goes with length ..Don't go by an outdoor wood boiler as a mod because they have a forced draft blower which you don't

Back