The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood dust is carcinogenic.
So is wood smoke and non-visible emissions from burning wood.
And not just campfires... your new-fangled, elitist stove will kill ya' faster than a speeding bullet can.

http://www.ehhi.org/woodsmoke/health_effects.shtml

www.epa.gov/burnwise/pdfs/woodsmoke_health_effects_jan07.pdf

There was a time we drained oil right on the ground or spread it on the driveway. .we don't do that anymore.
We don't??
How the heck do you keep the dust down in August??

We never recycled anything..we do now.
We do??
I don't... and as long as it costs me extra to recycle I ain't gonna'.

The only thing that has changed is we are more educated. ...well most of us.
Sometimes I wonder... I really do.
Puttin' an "education label" on propaganda don't make it education... it's still just propaganda.

Seems like a waste of money. Even if the guy got them for free there's other things those ties could be used for. Cutting up old ties is hell on chains though.

I worked in a post treatment plant for the state when I was 16 back when they used creosote and I know for a fact after one summer they rotated you out to other things and didn't request you return to the plant. That stuff would turn your belly red, remove hair and burn like fire on a hot day. Can't say about long term affects yet but will probably find out some day. As bad as it was in liquid form I wouldn't touch the smoke with a long pole.

And not just campfires... your new-fangled, elitist stove will kill ya' faster than a speeding bullet can.

We don't??

We do??

Puttin' an "education label" on propaganda don't make it education... it's still just propaganda.

You crack me up Spidey. You believe in having a dozen kids but you don't believe in leaving them a better world. All I can say is thank goodness you are the minority.

learn how to read!
i was just letting you know, that the "small percentage" are the "clean burning" areas... the vey very few people in this country that burn like the OP's neighbor wouldn't even come close to 1% of the total "bad burners" in the world...all the smog in LA would probably look like heaven to the people of many countries!

Hey, can I have my butt back Bro? I'll learn how to read when you learn how to spell.

You crack me up Spidey. You believe in having a dozen kids but you don't believe in leaving them a better world.
In all seriousness... you really don't know what I believe.
As far as a better "world"... by who's standard?? Yours??

We don't have any control of the "world" we enter or leave... we only have control of our lives, and how our lives impact those in contact with us.
The "world" is not where you live... or the government/rules/regulations/laws you live under.
I ain't concerned with things I cannot change... I don't fret over the "world" I leave my children, but the "life" I leave them is another thing entirely.
The "world" will be what it will be... it-is-what-it-is.

We don't??

We do??

I was referring to my family.

We had a nice east breeze today. It needs to be a little north east and the smoke will hit his house. He has a fully exposed basement and the burners down there so it will hit his house nice.

Now days most people are aware of the harm certain things can do to the environment. There was a time we drained oil right on the ground or spread it on the driveway. .we don't do that anymore. We never recycled anything..we do now. The only thing that has changed is we are more educated. ...well most of us.
no , now they recycle the used oil into heating oil for oil heaters , which i cant stand the smell of and i am sure its bad for your health and the environment as well ,

likewise i cant stand the smell of burning cross ties and telephone poles either , i find all three nauseating .

its not just the QWB guy's , i can drive down the mountain to a place i nick named "smokey holler " cause all of them have smoke spewing out of their stacks like they are smoking hams at smithfield , so much so , that i am surprised that everyone of them hasn't burned their houses down or died from smoke inhalation .

back to the creosote , i cant prove it , but i am sure the modern treatment probably has more than just coal tar in it , like PCB oils , pesticides , herbicides , arsenic and heavy metals , cause i lived in a rail road town most of my life and i can tell you those things never rot and nothing will touch them , and i have seen the rail road crews riding up and down the tracks spraying pesticides , herbicides and god knows what other chemicals as well , so if they didn't have all that crap in them when they were laid down i am sure they were permeated with it when they were taken up .

if he was my next door neighbor , i don't know exactly what i would do , but it probably wouldn't be nice and he wouldn't enjoy it .

If you read the OPs original post you can see he has never cared for this neighbors OWB and the new wood source has just made it worse. Face it your neighbor has a "smoke dragon" its 6-700 yards from your dads house and you hate it. I'd go over and ask the guy what kind he has and if says "why?" I'd say well it smokes so bad I just want to make sure I never buy one like it. As a matter a fact you should do this and let us know so we don't buy that kind of OWB. Also it wouldn't hurt to ask him to burn real untreated wood in the summer cause the treated stuff has a bad smell. Sounds like you have never even talked to the guy, put your big boy pants on and go do it. Be nice if possible.
Good luck!!!

Latest posts

Back