Stacking wood on crushed rock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My house has a band of crushed rock around the back and I need a place to stack my firepit wood. Just curious if anyone had stacked wood on crushed rock, and if so did the bottom row dry out properly?

I'd say its a step above sod for sure but if you had something like pallets to put the wood on then you'd be about as good as you can get. I have countless old 4x4 fence posts that were rotten at the grass line. I like to lay them down and stack on them. Just keeps any gorund moisture from working up into the wood. GL

I think if you could suspend your wood in mid air with a constant supply of warm dry air passing through it, that would be ideal.

I've been drinking. But my advice still stands.
! good reply 1 sthil nut, cuz either way your admission will hold air ! hot or just air.... lol

Stacked wood will stay dry only on washed stone...like 1's or 2's. Cause I did it that way for years.

For the last 10 years or so I throw NOT stack splits on a bed of crushed stone. The bottom splits where they touch the ground are surface wet...but seasoned.

What I do is set them aside/out of the way elevated off the ground and the dry winter weather will work its magic in a few days to a week, depending.

That tossed up split wood in my av is 10-12' high...and those stacks don't tip over.

Washed stone allows water to drain, Crushed rock aka 'crush a run'...meh sometimes, it packs down hard.

I have stacked on the ground, on rock, on timbers, in piles, it all works to dry your wood. The problem with ground stacking is the bottom layer is always wet and will even sink into the ground over time. About the same deal if stacked on gravel, but not as bad. On timbers, well they tend to sink in the ground also and you still endup with the bottom layers being damp. Old pallets seem to work the best. The pallets are wide enough that they dont sink, but I hate walking on them when stacking or when unstacking. Seems like the danger of breaking thru one of the slats or twisting and ankle is ever present. I found some heavier pallets this year and am going to give them a try. Maybe my fat arsh wont fall thru them when I step on the slats. Hopefully by next year my processor will be finished and I will just let the splits convey onto the pallets and not do any stacking. If I was the OP, I think I would find some pallets to lay on top of the gravel and stack my wood on them.

before I built the woodshed a lot of mine was stacked on crushed stone . after a couple of years dirt and bark off the wood turned it into a mushy mess .
What if you put landscape fabric between the rock and wood? That would let any water drain through, and make it easier to clean up the bark, etc. periodically.

Philbert

I agree anything is better than nothing. I normally use railroad ties but i burnt them this winter.

For aesthetics stuff like ties, pallets, etc wouldn't be approved by the homeland planning commission. I may just build a small rack to use.

fixed for accuracy. :laughing:
sorry SVK, couldn't resist.

Back