Mcculloch pro Mac 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelitenut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys I found a pro Mac 610 for 25$ should I pick it up?
Compression feels pretty good it's dirty has a 16" bar not running
I'm not really into Macs but I figured for 25$ Thought I might give one a shot. What do y'all think?

Need a boat anchor? As a point of reference, this is what my $25.00 bought me (Hi Aaron!).

Mac610005.jpg

People either like them or hate them. I like my SE3420, which is a 55cc PM605.

They are heavy. Oil pumps and ignition modules fail, but then they are getting old. Used parts are available on eBay.

That said, they make good power for their displacement, especially if the compression is good. Compression is quite high on these stock.

I'd pay $25 if it was in decent shape. These are saws you can use.

I have one and keep it for sentimental reasons, but rarely if ever use it. Very slow revving and very heavy. The same cannot be said for my 30+ year old Pro Mac 700. That puts a smile on my face every time i use it.

If you can afford the $25 and feel the need go for it. Just don't expect to be real impressed. ;)

If it runs, get it. Use it as a truck saw if nothing else. If someone steals it, oh well.
They cut pretty well. I have one but the oiler isn't working. I can fix it for $20 but haven't decided whether or not too. The market for them is <$100 around here. I think the crappy quality of the new Macs has diminished the value of the older ones. I've had a good running Mac 10-10 for sale for months with no lookers @ $50.00.

I'm currently resurrecting/running a 605 from a carcase, it's fighting me but I'll win. They aren't that slow reving for the year, dead slow compared to a new saw though, they are heavy but if it cuts woods, how bad can it be....?

Oh ya...and...

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

People either like them or hate them. I like my SE3420, which is a 55cc PM605.

They are heavy. Oil pumps and ignition modules fail, but then they are getting old. Used parts are available on eBay.

That said, they make good power for their displacement, especially if the compression is good. Compression is quite high on these stock.

I'd pay $25 if it was in decent shape. These are saws you can use.
What is the compression supposed to be?
I have one and keep it for sentimental reasons, but rarely if ever use it. Very slow revving and very heavy. The same cannot be said for my 30+ year old Pro Mac 700. That puts a smile on my face every time i use it.

If you can afford the $25 and feel the need go for it. Just don't expect to be real impressed. ;)
I ended up getting it he said if I couldn't get it running he'd give me my money back I put a little mixed gas in the carb and she popped off but wouldn't pull quite enough gas to the carb I think the diaphragm is stiff so I'm going to rebuild the carb. Oh and thus far I'm not to impressed lol.

If it runs, get it. Use it as a truck saw if nothing else. If someone steals it, oh well.
They cut pretty well. I have one but the oiler isn't working. I can fix it for $20 but haven't decided whether or not too. The market for them is <$100 around here. I think the crappy quality of the new Macs has diminished the value of the older ones. I've had a good running Mac 10-10 for sale for months with no lookers @ $50.00.
I thought I might try to sell it after I used it a little if I get it running it has a little 14" or 16" bar on it way to small for 60cc

I'm currently resurrecting/running a 605 from a carcase, it's fighting me but I'll win. They aren't that slow reving for the year, dead slow compared to a new saw though, they are heavy but if it cuts woods, how bad can it be....?

Oh ya...and...

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow after I clean it up a bit. :)

I have a PM 605, spent a little money getting it to run, carb kit- fuel line and an 18" b/c. It cuts good, hard to bog and gets the job done. Weights a ton compared to my other saws.

Sent from my Prism II from T-Mobile, Steve

Pretty common for the 610 to have a 16" or 18" bar from what I have seen.

My Dad bought one new in the late 70s, cut wood with it for over 30 years. I remember it seeming like a huge saw when I first ran it, but I was maybe 12-13 yrs old.

Compared to a modern saw it's heavy and slow, but it's not like it's completely unpractical either.

What is the compression supposed to be?
I don't really know from first hand experience, and I don't have a gauge - I have have seen 175 routinely on eBay adds and in AS posts over the years.

I run a 24" bar on my SE3420 (sometimes with square ground chain) and it pulls it just fine, which is impressive for a 55cc saw. It has the spark screen removed and has a larger carb. It's hip to be square:
Mac3420x24-1024.JPG

I have a PM610 disassembled in a box. It needs 2 thin rings which are $30 shipped. Hard to justify spending that on a saw that if in good running condition, would fetch about $35 around here. It's also a pain to dribble fuel mix in the carb with the top plate. Choke rubber pull seems a poor design. I paid $3 for mine at an estate sale and kinda feel like I overpaid. LOL

Years ago when my McCulloch 10-10 died, I bought a 610 to replace it. Liked it just fine w/ a 20” bar & chain. Next to the Husky 372 that I run now, yeah it’s Mc-cinder block. But I keep the 610 at camp for my camp saw (along w/ a parts machine I picked up cheap). Heavy, yeah, but kinda bulletproof (other than the oiler, which is all that ever went out on mine). There’s a crap-load of these in the world, so parts are easy to come by.

You realize, of course, that the Mac 610 was launched circa 1977. That's when I bought mine for $165 new. It came with a 20" bar, and that was about right for it. On the other hand, I have pulled a 28" with it when I run into whopper logs. It usually impresses me how well it still runs after 38 years. With its chain brake on board, I've unfortunately never been allowed to enter it into antique saw cutting events.

Yes, it's a heavy puppy, but back in 1977 I could have cared less about weight. I imagine it weighs a pound or two more than today's Stihl MS290, but I assure you that it will out cut a stock 290 that can barely pull a 20" bar. Some say that the Mac 610 was not surpassed significantly (pound for pound) by Stihl until the 038 arrived and that cost a bunch more.

For $25, you have a steal. If it runs, buy it.

Back