splitting big rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the life of me I don't know why all you guys think you need a splitter.
The nice straight grained white oak blocks you have will split easy with any kind of splitting maul with no lifting involved at all. I have two splitters but of the 30 cords I made this winter, 95% was split by hand with a Fiskars, all it takes is a little effort.

I misunderstood also the part about you guys. :popcorn:

The nice straight grained white oak blocks you have will split easy with any kind of splitting maul with no lifting involved at all. I have two splitters but of the 30 cords I made this winter, 95% was split by hand with a Fiskars, all it takes is a little effort.

I also misunderstood the "You guys". I split only 30 cords a year, but it's mostly crap wood, crotches, and knots. Do I need a TW6? Nope! Do I love it? Yep! I don't split wood for fun. I do it to save money. I'd rather be doing anything else, so a fast splitter works out great for me.

I like power tools and don't like splitting tons of wood by hand. Splitters rock :)
I have three splitters one for every problem. I have a 20 and a 30 ton goes n the tractor with a 28 gpm princess pump and a in the shop 20 ton electric I built myself has a 3 stage pump and 5 hp 220 electric moter I'm a 73 years old and hydrolics is my cup of tea. No hand operated air cool for me.

I sell the wood so I like the right size pieces. If I split by hand I end up with alot that looks like slab wood. And the centers get hard to do by hand. And it is to much work plain and simple!!!

I really enjoy the physical part of splitting by hand and usually process it that way if I have time. Pulled the splitter out last night as I have a huge pile to split at home and I need that split and stacked before I can go cut more. Hope to finish most of it off tonight. I agree that the big straight rounds of oak split easy by hand, but I have a pile of big crotches that the splitter couldn't handle based on shape. I'll have to saw them with the spaghetti maker

I just noodle them half way through and use my maul to break them in half. Aim for the kerf and with one easy strike you've split the round in half. After it's split in half it's really quick to break up the rest with maul or lift to splitter.

I've got some 38" DBH Pin Oak rounds that I'd like see split by hand. Once that's done, there's a pile of sycamore slightly bigger than that.

I do the tractor bucket thing too. The splitter does work vertical, but then I'm working all hunched over.

Film? I haven't used film for years! Digital cameras are so compact, versatile, & convenient, I don't even know where my old Minolta SLR is or the 4 extra lenses for it.

Film? I haven't used film for years! Digital cameras are so compact, versatile, & convenient, I don't even know where my old Minolta SLR is or the 4 extra lenses for it.

I was going to say that, but I figured he meant digital. I can't imagine there's to many people that would take the time to scan in pictures nowadays.

I use my forks from the end and let the halts fall off and then work with haves I am working on a gum log 6 ft 4 inches and other end 4 ft and 8 inches by 16 ft long. It's been a job. I got three of these logs free. My 550 ford power stroke was loaded my 10 ton hyd. Winch had to pull the truck under the log. Not do that agin

Latest posts

Back