Question regarding Removing fastener from tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyberspaceking

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to this, hope I got it in the right place. Anyway I Removed an old clothesline roller that was attached to this tree with some electrical wiring not too sure how to proceed. Looks as though the fastener has been grown over. Do I just cut wire off flush or should I dig a bit in hopes of finding a removable fastener. Any suggestions. What do the experts do?
8ab147f1aab4445809909844c7cf9380.jpg

Thanks for the prompt replies. The wire is insulated copper, standard household electrical, kind of fatigued cause it was all twisted up so won't hold any weight but I don't really want anything to hang there anyway so it's OK. I left a length sticking out (since it's black you can hardly notice it) if I ever sell the property perhaps I will stick a flag on it for future arborists. ,
As an added curiosity, what would be the proper way to fasten something like a clothesline to a tree. I'm not planning on doing it, But curious, is it total sacrilege?

A threaded eye bolt that you unscrew before the tree grows into it if you must attach something to the tree. It doesn't hurt the tree, so it is not a bad choice aside from the future saw damage even it is engulfed in the tree.

Another option is to wrap a loop around the tree with a girth hitch and loosen that as the tree grows. However, it is certainly better to have something screwed into one spot of the tree than to have something wrapped around the tree that doesn't get loosened as the later can kill a tree by girdling it. If you want to get fancy, you could put a place with a spring on it so the spring will expand as the tree grows...but eventually, it can outgrow the spring's stretch, so that is not necessarily "idiot proof" either.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think If I need to do it I would opt for the girth hitch method and just remember to loosen yearly. ,I just really want to do the right thing for the trees. View sure looks better without the clothesline... Thanks again.
0fc1738e3a861924f4b71c83df172de2.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think If I need to do it I would opt for the girth hitch method and just remember to loosen yearly. ,I just really want to do the right thing for the trees. View sure looks better without the clothesline... Thanks again.
0fc1738e3a861924f4b71c83df172de2.jpg
Good Looking Lab

Aww shucks... Thanks... The dog is Mac he is getting a little old and has a sore hip but he still acts like a puppy. The property is small but has some nice trees...lots of work. Got an early start this year maybe get ahead of it a bit. ... Here's hoping.

I have used a deep hole saw made from hard tubing to bore around embeded objects, but I wouldn't try to remove those wires, just pull them straight and leave them there. Add more wire if the tree grows enough to cover them, so any one cutting the tree in the far future might notice that something is in there.
I never girth hitch any tree for longer than a camp-out. An eyebolt screwed into a tree causes very little damage, anything wraped tightly around the trunk may effect the circulation.
Don't plan on being able to unscrew a bolt that has been in a tree for more than one growing season.

Awesome advice. I found another fastener in a different tree, this time a threaded hook that has grown in. Think I will stick a similar piece of wire on it so It doesn't get lost. The advantage to this black wire is it's completely invisible from a distance but would be hard to miss on closer inspection.
6817be1b91a5005372c234e9b11e7608.jpg

Back