Rope walker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So, I'm still using my Texas/Frog system. It gets the job done, but it's not near as efficient as I would like it to be.

SRT

So I've been trying to make a rope walker system. I've got a CMI hand ascender(above a mechanical ascender, which is connected to my center D) tied to a microscender that's down by my knee with a foot loop on my left foot, and on my right foot I have a CMI foot ascender. Then I have a bungee from the hand ascender to the microscender.

I don't know if it's my technique or something binding up in the system, but I just can't get a rhythm going. I see other guys walking right up the rope, but this setup is slower than my Texas/Frog setup.

Anybody using a rope walker system with good results? What's your setup? Pics would be great, video even better, instructions a must.

Thanks

It's well layed out in the book: 'On Rope'.

It's not a useful system for tree work. Too gear and set up intensive. You never hear of a pro using it in tree work. I set up a rope walker system in the early nineties and only used it a few times. If you're doing 150' or higher straight assents then it would be worth it. For tree work before you got off the ground with a rope walker system a guy using the 'frog' system would be in the crown firing up the saw.

It's well layed out in the book: 'On Rope'.

It's not a useful system for tree work. Too gear and set up intensive. You never hear of a pro using it in tree work. I set up a rope walker system in the early nineties and only used it a few times. If you're doing 150' or higher straight assents then it would be worth it. For tree work before you got off the ground with a rope walker system a guy using the 'frog' system would be in the crown firing up the saw.

I figured the rope walker out just a little while ago.

The guy using the frog can go for it, cause I'm using my rope walker. It takes maybe a minute longer for me to set it up than it does the frog. The only slow down is the change over once I get up there, but it's not too bad.

If it takes me 5 minutes longer I'm not going to sweat it, cause the frog takes me 10 minutes longer and I'm wore out by the time I get up there.

I figured the rope walker out just a little while ago.

The guy using the frog can go for it, cause I'm using my rope walker. It takes maybe a minute longer for me to set it up than it does the frog. The only slow down is the change over once I get up there, but it's not too bad.

If it takes me 5 minutes longer I'm not going to sweat it, cause the frog takes me 10 minutes longer and I'm wore out by the time I get up there.

If you are wore out by the time you get into the crown of a tree using a frog system maybe you ought to work on getting in better shape.

If you are wore out by the time you get into the crown of a tree using a frog system maybe you ought to work on getting in better shape.

Not really wore out, more like need a breather, because there was so much energy wasted using that system.

It wasn't a true frog, more of a texas/frog hybrid at best. Blake's hitch and double foot loop. Stand, slide Blake's up, sit, slide foot loop up, repeat. I had to sit down and lay back to slide the foot loop, then stand up and pull myself up.

This walker system is just as easy to set up, way easier to use, and much faster with very little wasted energy.

Yep, the Rig. Personally, I love the 2:1 advantage going up, and if I don't have to do much limb walking I'll just stay on the rig. If I'm going to be up a while I'll switch over to ddrt. Plus, with the rig, you can always bail out without switching out anything. R.A.D.S. isn't as fast as rope walking probably, but it's almost effortless, and honestly if it takes me another minute or two to access the canopy so what.

I use a HH SRT with a tether for tending from a simple neck lanyard, a left foot foot ascender and a DMM basic ascender with a webbing foot loop and a hand loop. step with the left, stand up, pull on right hand on the hand loop to the DMM ascender up, step on that one, pull left foot up, stand up on that one, repeat. Walk up the rope. Disconnect ascenders, and work. As for being tired during the ascent....... I always tell the Home owner/crew I heard a cracking noise.

Yep, the Rig. Personally, I love the 2:1 advantage going up, and if I don't have to do much limb walking I'll just stay on the rig. If I'm going to be up a while I'll switch over to ddrt. Plus, with the rig, you can always bail out without switching out anything. R.A.D.S. isn't as fast as rope walking probably, but it's almost effortless, and honestly if it takes me another minute or two to access the canopy so what.

I was thinking about using something like the Rig, and wondered if it would slide up the rope easily enough to use with the Frog Walker? I'd really like to have something I could use to bail out on if needed. Does the Rig attach midline easily?

I use a HH SRT with a tether for tending from a simple neck lanyard, a left foot foot ascender and a DMM basic ascender with a webbing foot loop and a hand loop. step with the left, stand up, pull on right hand on the hand loop to the DMM ascender up, step on that one, pull left foot up, stand up on that one, repeat. Walk up the rope. Disconnect ascenders, and work. As for being tired during the ascent....... I always tell the Home owner/crew I heard a cracking noise.

Do you have pic of that system?

Top loop I have in my right hand, and pull the ascender up manually. Bottom loop is for my foot. I'd put together a self advancing ascender, but I haven't come across a suitable bungee locally.

Attachments

• IMG3533.jpg
    IMG3533.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 11
Top loop I have in my right hand, and pull the ascender up manually. Bottom loop is for my foot. I'd put together a self advancing ascender, but I haven't come across a suitable bungee locally.

I found one at Wal-Mart with a biner at each end, 25" it's flat and lays across my shoulder nicely, or could be hooked below harness to a knee ascender.

You can find an assortment of them on eBay, 15, 25, 35, and 45 inch for about $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/cargoloc-89...tment-4-piece-new-/351227904642#ht_2669wt_900

FlatBineredBungees.jpg

I'll check, but walmart up here carries different stock than you guys. Exchange rate sucks for us up here at the moment for making US purchases.

Yea, I keep forgetting you're in Canada.

Some of those eBay'ers ship for free, and ship to Canada. Maybe you can find a deal that works for ya.

Latest posts

Back