Anyone else turn the file during the stroke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKKAMAAN

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My free hand filing might suck, but I love how my file cuts when I turn the file (counter clockwise for this side of the chain) during the forward stroke...

All I do is smack the file on a piece of wood or wipe in on my pants leg to keep the teeth cleaned out.

I turn it a fraction when going tooth to tooth, and tap it every half a dozen or so teeth (freehand), or if using the pferd system, when I rotate the file out from right to left cutters..

I turn the file in the cut but turn it into the top of the tooth. I feel like it helps keep the file riding up on the top plate better. I also font drag my file on the tie straps on the drawl back... Nice sharp tooth.

Nope... I stroke the full length of the file, turn it a fraction before each stroke, wipe it with a leather gloved hand after each cutter, and use a file card about every half dozen or so cutters.
It likely ain't enough to matter cold owl squat, but...
The teeth on a round file are helical... turning the file during the stroke can, or may, create inconsistency. If you turn it one direction (as in your video) you effectively make the file slightly more aggressive, if you turn it the other direction on the other side of the chain you effectively make the file slightly less aggressive. And if you turn it the same direction on both sides of the chain, you're "rolling" the file into the gullet on one side, and "rolling" it into the top plate on the other.

The teeth on a round file are helical
That's a fact!

you're "rolling" the file into the gullet on one side, and "rolling" it into the top plate on the other.
Or we can say I am rolling out of the top plate.
The top plate (and the side plate), is "plated" with a micro-thin layer of Chrome, to support the sharpness to the edge. The Chrome is much harder the alloy steel in the rest of the cutter. Rolling the file into the top plate will force the file teeth to cut thru that layer of Chrome before it hits the alloy steel. And the file gets dull from that. Even the raker have the same Chrome plating, and anyone that have tried to use the flat file on the raker from the "outside" knows the file struggle to bite through the Chrome plating.

If you turn it one direction (as in your video) you effectively make the file slightly more aggressive, if you turn it the other direction on the other side of the chain you effectively make the file slightly less aggressive.
And when the file is helical, wouldn't it then be accurate to say that even without turning the file, the file will cut left and right sides of cutter a little differently?

I have sometimes wondered why one side of cutter teeth always ends up a littler shorter than the other side after I have sharpened it "10 times"...even with the same amount of strokes on both sides....

Maybe "10 strokes" on left side cutters equal "9 strokes" on the right side cutters...

I know this is no importance to practical sharpening, but it is interesting that we have used a tool for more than half a century, that is not 100% optimized for sharpening a saw chain equally on both sides.

If the file manufacturers could make the same file in two versions, "left and right helical"...:lol:

If the file manufacturers could make the same file in two versions, "left and right helical"...:lol:
:laughing: Too funny... spoken like a true gimmick salesman... I think there's money to made... seriously‼
I mean, it ain't like it would be total BS... you do have a point.

:laughing: Too funny... spoken like a true gimmick salesman... I think there's money to made... seriously‼
I mean, it ain't like it would be total BS... you do have a point.
I am kinda semi-serious...Here is an image showing the difference in "file attack" with current file design vs how another mirror designed file would do on the opposite side....
mirro_vs_current.jpg

One of the reason current file cuts better when turning the file counter clockwise on a right hand cutter edge, is that the file dust get out of the working file grades/"teeth"...
There is always fresh and clean file grades put into work....

Back