log splitter 2 small rams vs 1 big ram

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the plan is to run log splitter of tractor hydraulics, tractor is around 130 horse and the hyd pump working at about 2800-2900 psi and flow rate 90-100 lmp.

Got the engine and pump set up this morning. Seems to work pretty well. The acid test is cutting a log in half across the grain. I figured I'm getting around 16 tons with both rams. the engine didn't strain at all. This is a 7 hp and works much better than the old Briggs I had on it. I made a bigger block to get the ram closer to the wedge to finish the split. I'll probably break down and give it a fresh coat of paint in the near future. The jerry can is staying for now until I can find something better.

DSCN9357.JPG DSCN9358.JPG

i could'nt get the video to work but that new engine unit looks a lovely bit of kit, sounds like its got plenty of torqe to power those 2 rams.
is that coupling on the drive shaft to the pump a rubber dampener ? i would keep the jerry can i like it.

i've made a start with my build, cant do much more now until i've found a new ram. after taking everyones advice on board i've decided to go with a 4 or 5 inch or two 3 inch rams . the box section is 1/4 inch 8 x 4, i put the i beam that way round because i originally was going to mount 2 rams side by side ( if i can find two 3 inch rams then i might still do that) but now that it will probably be a 1 ram build it would have been better other way round really. will post some more pics when its fully complete.

Attachments

• Photo-0029.jpg
    Photo-0029.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo-0030.jpg
    Photo-0030.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo-0033.jpg
    Photo-0033.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo-0032.jpg
    Photo-0032.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo-0031.jpg
    Photo-0031.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 23
Looks good so far - nice welds! What welder are you using? I think I was using an old Forney buzz box for mine.
The coupler on mine has the rubber dampener between two metal ends. It says "Lovejoy" on it.
If I ever have to replace my rams, I would go with one 4" . I would get close to the same power as the two 3" and one would be easier to mount. I did get inspired today and gave mine a fresh paint job. All I have to do now is get the battery mounted for the electric start.

thanks. welder is a oil cooled oxford bantam 180, i bought it about 5 years ago 2nd hand when my dads old clarke buzz box gave up the ghost that was a good welder to be fair and lasted 30 odd years, he has a inverter welder now which is great for jobs around the farm its as light as a feather and has just as much power it not more as my oxford, not to sure how long it will last for though where as those trusty oil cooled welders go on forever . what color paint did you treat it to?

This talk of using 2 cyls got me thinkin. What if you made the top cyl so that the ram could be easily uncoupled from the wedge (or push plate) Have a control lever for each cyl, run one cyl (fast) for most splitting where huge power (slow) is not needed. But if log doesn't split, retract, drop the pin in the second cyl, grab both levers, BAM, log surrenders to brute force! What y'all think, hair-brained idea?

This talk of using 2 cyls got me thinkin. What if you made the top cyl so that the ram could be easily uncoupled from the wedge (or push plate) Have a control lever for each cyl, run one cyl (fast) for most splitting where huge power (slow) is not needed. But if log doesn't split, retract, drop the pin in the second cyl, grab both levers, BAM, log surrenders to brute force! What y'all think, hair-brained idea?
A two stage pump might accomplish almost the same thing. I only have my lower ram hooked up to reverse - it does go a little faster that way.

Razor, Paint is John Deere yellow except for the wedge - I made it red for some reason. I made a bigger spacer block held on with a bungee cord so I don't have to hold it.

His setup with a single stage pump at 25gpm and 3000psi, is actually going to be more efficient than a system with a equal 25gpm two-stage pump.
But overall fuel economy might have been better with a small BS engine and a two-stage pump. A single stage pump setup like this, with an overkill 130hp behind, will eliminate the slower cycling a two-stage pump will have when it takes a 900+ psi pressure to split....
Don't worry @razor, you are doing fine...and go out and split some really knotty wood like a piece of cake...And keep your wedge sharp as a razor-blade...:rock:

got my log splitter finished and tried it out today for the 2nd time and it now works well, the 1st time i used it i had a problem with the pusher plate binding on the beam but with welding some extra angle iron on the front and extending the back of the pusher plate it runs lovely and smooth now. the ram is 4" inch bore 2" rod with 14.5 " stroke the logs i split are no longer than 11-12 " so it works out well and keeps ram cycle time down, its got plenty of power i've pushed some real knotty stringy stuff through it with no problem. i was going to make a bolt on 4 way for smaller logs but i find the 2 way just fine for the amount of logs that i split.
Photo-00g.jpg Photo-00d.jpg Photo-00a.jpg

Got the engine and pump set up this morning. Seems to work pretty well. The acid test is cutting a log in half across the grain. I figured I'm getting around 16 tons with both rams. the engine didn't strain at all. This is a 7 hp and works much better than the old Briggs I had on it. I made a bigger block to get the ram closer to the wedge to finish the split. I'll probably break down and give it a fresh coat of paint in the near future. The jerry can is staying for now until I can find something better.

View attachment 426410 View attachment 426411

Do be careful when using pieces to start splitting and like on your acid test. Lots of people been seriously hurt/killed doing that. You're dealing with a lot of force and if it spits out at you it'll come quick. Not normally a safety guy to others but do be aware of the risk involved. Pushers once started to split is one thing but to start, is a different thing.

Back