Kindling cracker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't heat with firewood but I saw this on a toolsellers website that I frequent. I don't want to put a link since it isn't a site sponsor. A quick google should pull it up though. I can't decide if it is genius or stupid.

Northern Hydraulics sells it...

this HTML class. Value is http://m.northerntoo

Hmm... not sure why the forum doesn't like cut/paste on links?

I cut a good chuck off my left index finger about 15 years ago while splitting kindling. Axe in right hand, stick of wood in the left and I got "a little" too close.

How is cast iron going to hold up on keeping an edge?

I think you'd be money ahead buying a decent parang and learning to baton with it, and saving the other $50.

Neat idea I suppose but $100 seems a little much for no more than what ya get...I find the Estwing Fireside Friend and either a 2lb or 4lb small sledge, if still green, to be my kindling-makin buddies on half or qtr splits. Works like a champ...and both for half the price of this thing.

I don't heat with firewood but I saw this on a toolsellers website that I frequent. I don't want to put a link since it isn't a site sponsor. A quick google should pull it up though. I can't decide if it is genius or stupid.
As long as you aren't involved in said company you are allowed to put a link for informational purposes that doesn't send the user to the home page of a competing forum.

As long as you aren't involved in said company you are allowed to put a link for informational purposes that doesn't send the user to the home page of a competing forum.

Ok, I wasn't real sure. Useally I don't worry about it but my post would look like an ad if I weren't careful.

Even if I heated with wood or built a lot of campfires, I don't think I would buy one. To specialized. Wonder how it will do with knots?

Cast iron and a side load on those little bars is going to make for a cracked cracker.

Sticking a knot on it, or maybe even some green wood? might not make the owner too happy about their $100 buy.

Interesting piece. IMO the price is way too high for what you are getting.

I have years of dimensional lumber scraps that easily split with a hatchet so personally wouldn't use one.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck OP is even talking about. No pic...no link...no clue(me)
I thought by the title maybe this was gonna be some type of firestarter in a wafer (cracker) shape.

BTW, greasy "crackers" like doritos, tater chips, and the like are excellent firestarters if ya need or want to cheat. Try it sometime, one match...POOF! :yes:

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck OP is even talking about. No pic...no link...no clue(me)
I thought by the title maybe this was gonna be some type of firestarter in a wafer (cracker) shape.

BTW, greasy "crackers" like doritos, tater chips, and the like are excellent firestarters if ya need or want to cheat. Try it sometime, one match...POOF! :yes:
Search 'Kindling Cracker' or look at it on Northern Tools site.

I prefer eating the chips and burning something that doesn't look quite as tasty, but that's just me. :D

http://www.kindlingcracker.com/the-product.html

"Tell your friends and family about my idea so we can help them from chopping their fingers off with an axe." :rolleyes:

That's a great concept.

I know what I'm going to do now - find a piece of steel or an old axe head and weld it to a plate for my kids to use. No need for any stinkin' safety bars around it. My kids are currently using hatchets anyway, so anything will be safer for them. I make them wear a heavy glove on the wood-holding hand, and have taught them how to avoid injury, but I really like this concept, especially since kids are always misplacing the hatchets!

Interesting piece. IMO the price is way too high for what you are getting.

I have years of dimensional lumber scraps that easily split with a hatchet so personally wouldn't use one.

I have used a splitter to make bunches of kindling for starting brush piles. Slab a chunk then stack the slabs and split the pile several times.

Harry K

Back