Where did you learn to adjust a carburator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vizionary

Husqvarna
Reaction score
I spend ours of repairing chainsaws and other garden power tools for friends.
I can repair alot, the only thing i can't is learn how to adjust a carburator.
Do you have tips to learn it?
Lots of people say you can hear it if it runs good or not.
You can check your spark plug, but it is wasting time to do this every time you turn the adjustment screws?
Are there good online tutorials to learn this?

If you can find an old chainsaw that was made before 1985, full mag body saws that had slower revving engines in them. You can hear the difference much easier between fourstroking and the cleaned up sound of two stroking in the cut. Once you learn the sound on an old saw it is much easier to hear it in the newer saws.

There is a lot of info here and vids on YouTube. You'll never totally get it until you get experience. Get your saw running, but keep it a bit rich. You'll quickly get an ear for burble or four stroking. Clean sound in the wood and burbles the moment you pull pressure off. I can hear it clearer with hearing protection on. Pretty soon you'll be hearing burbles and lean conditions in small engines everywhere.

Learned from old saws my grandpa or dad had junked... as a 10 year old all you have is time... also learned how to break off bolts and how to cross thread bolts lol and how pouring to much gas in the carb of an old 65 model ford's carb will backfire and cause some fire... wouldn't trade those days of hard lessons for nothing.

I learned in the early 70's tuning Yamaha snowmobiles and RD350 street bikes. The old Lawnboy has both low and high speed adjustments that is easy to hear when things are right. Check the plug to verify. We read all articles written about Bobby Strahlman, Champion Spark Plug's extraordinary tuning guru too. He used a jeweler's loupe to check the plugs for tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned to tune Webers and other real carbs, and when I first tried to tune a chainsaw I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the damn thing. As far as I was concerned, any engine that misfires like that has a fuel system that is badly in need of repair. Much to my dismay, I found out they were designed to "work" that way! I still think it's gross, but that's how these crappy little all position carbs are so you just have to go with it.

I learned when we bought our new FS105 trimmer that the dealer 'tuned' and it just wouldn't run.. I was 12, and after a half an hour I got the hang of it... it takes an ear for it...

I like setting my idle a touch on the rich side, and the same as everyone else for the high.. a little 4 stroking out of the cut and cleans up as soon as you load it up... if it bogs when you get on the trigger it probably needs more fuel

Here, Madsens is pretty simple and there is a good one one YouTube, I think he's doing a 440 and he really simplifies it. I also picked up a tach.

Yeah, the first carb I ever truly knew was the carb bank on my v65. Four perfectly synced 35mm carbs. That is a whole different thing. It's all measurements and numbers. I had to forget everything I knew to tune a chainsaw. Small two strokes are more about sound and feel.

First carb I messed with was a Holly replacement for the original Rochester Quadrajet on a '67 Buick GS400. Had motor rebuilt in '73 (waste of money), blew a conrod bearing (even more stupid) and had to rebuild the bottom end myself. My wife (at the time) was not amused.

And on a similar note.... I had never come across another type of small engine that has it's top end speed governed by the fuel mixture adjustment. Well, maybe trimmers, but I never encountered such in cycles, snowmobiles and small boat motors. I suppose it's because these all have other variables such as gearing, clutching, and prop pitch that limits them?

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back