What method/Devices do you use to Measure your mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My darling wife was good enough to solve this problem for me. She bought these scoop things that are made for exactly this problem. You just get the scoop that matches the container you are going to put your fuel in and then attach it with hay twine and just put one or two of those scoops in as required. My black 20L jerry can that I use for the boat has a 200ml scoop attached so it ends up at 100:1 (belgian merc...). The little red 5L can for the whipper snipper has another 200ml scoop attached to it for 25/1. I have a green 5L can that i use for the saws that has a 125ml scoop on it for 40:1. My wife says they can also be used to measure cooking ingredients but she's given up trying to get them back.

I like the idea of mixing about 42:1. That said, sometimes I can only get oil in 2.6 ; 2.8, or 3. ?, bottles. So, I measure my gas accordingly to the bottle at hand.
half gal measurer.JPG

I just dump the oil in with 5 gals of gas. No fuss.... it ain't rocket surgery.
Dumping 2.6 oz of oil in with 5 gallons of gas would call for chainsaw surgery quicktime. The satisfaction of knowing what ratio I'm using is helpful if the engine begins to act up.

Yeah, but the bottle says "mix with 5 gals of gas". Pretty hard to screw up. It's 50:1 which is just fine for my needs.

We stock oil for 1 gal, 2.5 gal and 5 gal of gas.

Dumping 2.6 oz of oil in with 5 gallons of gas would call for chainsaw surgery quicktime. The satisfaction of knowing what ratio I'm using is helpful if the engine begins to act up.

Yeah, but the bottle says "mix with 5 gals of gas". Pretty hard to screw up. It's 50:1 which is just fine for my needs.
We stock oil for 1 gal, 2.5 gal and 5 gal of gas.
Hmmm! If I'm wrong, correct me. But a 50:1 ratio in 5 gallons of gasoline should be equivalent to 12.8 oz of oil. What size bottle are you using?
My (1) Liter bottles (1.05quart) makes 12.92 gallons of mix at 50:1 ratio . That equals out to 2.6 oz of oil per gallon. Multiply that by 5 gallons = (2.6oz oil x 5gal gas = 13oz oil) . So, if you use 33.6 oz of oil per 5 gallons of gasoline you get a ratio of = 19:1

That would put you up there in the years! You'd better keep that bottle clean cause you might be drinking out of it soon! :laugh:
I've got extras. I found a short baby bottle to mix fuel in, I think it goes to about 8 ounces. Yeah, I'm getting up there but not slowing down much, probably not your typical 72 yr. old..

I've got extras. I found a short baby bottle to mix fuel in, I think it goes to about 8 ounces. Yeah, I'm getting up there but not slowing down much, probably not your typical 72 yr. old..
Non typical is right. Lots of my highschool classmates have already cashed in, and of what's left, all but a few of us are fading fast.
As for the Baby Bottle for measuring oil. That's the best idea I've heard of yet. I'll be searching the infant Section at Wally World soon. :laugh::yes:

I buy the smallest Orange bottles of Stihl oil then I add one to an empty "Carlo Rossi" gallon wine jug . Then some gas and shake the hell out of it then fill the rest of the way up. I have to admit though reading all these posts I think I may be woefully inadequate . My poor poor saws ,.. I do like the mix measure from Baileys though it looks like it would work great.

I buy the smallest Orange bottles of Stihl oil then I add one to an empty "Carlo Rossi" gallon wine jug . Then some gas and shake the hell out of it then fill the rest of the way up. I have to admit though reading all these posts I think I may be woefully inadequate . My poor poor saws ,.. I do like the mix measure from Baileys though it looks like it would work great.
I've been there. Dump and fill 'er up. But then one day I noticed the 1 gallon can had a mark on the outside that indicated 'FULL', although the can may hold another 8 oz or so of fuel. What would that hurt I thought.

Well we know a gallon of liquid is equivalent to 128 oz. The 2.6 oz bottles makes a 50:1 mix ratio for 128 oz of gasoline. 128 / 50 = 2.56 oz (precisely). Roughly that's 2.6 oz of oil.
Okay say I over fill the gas can with 6 more ounces of gasoline. What ratio will I come up with then with a 2.6 oz bottle of oil?
1 gallon of gas + the 6 oz overfill = 128+6= 134 oz of pure gas.
I can divide 134 oz of gas by the 2.6 oz of oil I'm going to add, and the results will be the ratio of gas and oil mix. 134/2.6= 51.5 to 1 ratio. That's cutting it a lil thin.
I'd rather have too much oil as opposed to too little. So, I go with 109 oz of gas and a 2.6 oz bottle of oil for a ratio of 42:1 . 109(oz) divided by 42 (ratio) > 109 / 42 = 2.59 oz of oil.

Back