Jonsered 930 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Jred 920 for a friend, he had a 920 and a 920 super.. I put the super jug on it and reworked it.. he just loves it now.. he was cutting big poplar with a 24" bar and said he could just dig the dogs in and reef on it and it would throw chips like a beaver... the Supers have nice transfer ports to work with, I cleaned up the piston windows, etc..

Here's the 920 vs reworked 920 super jug from those saws
IMG_7745_sm.jpg
IMG_7745_sm-crop.jpg

IMG_7749_sm.jpg

I calculated the stock timings at 105* exhaust, 124* transfer, and 70* intake for durations of 150, 112, and 140 respectively with a 19* blowdown
The ported saw had 101/122/78 for durations of 158/116/156 with 21* blowdown

It cackled nicely across the shop floor :)

View attachment 433982 View attachment 433983
I had a 930 West Coast that was stolen along with about 8 other saws a couple of years ago. I'm still a little sad about it. I may need a little more counseling.

That sucks. One guy here posted that he rebuilt a 930, only to have it fall off a load of wood on the road when he forgot to secure it.

The West Coast set-up is one reason, certainly not the only one, why the 930 & 670 (and other Jred models) AF covers are kind of rare.

Limited parts availability for the 930 are one of the reasons I went with a 2094.

I did a Jred 920 for a friend, he had a 920 and a 920 super.. I put the super jug on it and reworked it.. he just loves it now.. he was cutting big poplar with a 24" bar and said he could just dig the dogs in and reef on it and it would throw chips like a beaver... the Supers have nice transfer ports to work with, I cleaned up the piston windows, etc..

Here's the 920 vs reworked 920 super jug from those saws
View attachment 433901
View attachment 433899

View attachment 433900

I calculated the stock timings at 105* exhaust, 124* transfer, and 70* intake for durations of 150, 112, and 140 respectively with a 19* blowdown
The ported saw had 101/122/78 for durations of 158/116/156 with 21* blowdown

It cackled nicely across the shop floor :)

I'm no expert, but that looks too me like a 920 and a 930 jug.

I thought all 920's had the same jug, super or not.

I have both, the 920 isn't very impressive, the 930 is impressive.

What would you call the perfect length bar for this saw, in both balance and use?
My buddy's 920 I rebuilt had a 28" and the parts saw was a 24".. both were pretty good feeling to me, and it had the power to bury it in cottonwood and lean into it with the 24".. aggressive raker setting too.

ModifiedMark, Both saws said "920" on them, one was the super, one was not.. now unless they've been messed with before, I think that was the difference between them. The 920 has the meat available to do the 920 super/930 porting (at least close), it would just be a LOT more grinding.

Unless you're cutting concrete, the 20" is far too short for that saw.. especially if you've meddled with it's innards!

Around these parts that size saw would be wearing a 32" bar. Of course we just have soft wood like Doug Fir, then again I do believe there just might be a good number of Oaks as well.

In my humble opinion, I think with the power yours will have, a 28" wouldn't get to feeling too nose-heavy you might get with the 32".. of course a lightweight bar could help with that as well

I would love to see that saw go against an 064 & 288 as that would be a fair fight. And yes a 28 would likely balance ok, but why not do like TreeMonkey and port a 32" Total bar :dancing:.

This saw will only be used for GTG demonstrations, so I'm definitely not interested in anything longer than a 28". BTW, this saw is basically stock. I did very little to it. None of the ports were altered at all. I only knocked the lip off the transfer intake ducts and tightened the squish.

Latest posts

Back