Piston Ring Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[emoji106] but I don't cherry pick the opinions out as quotes.

I respect your work, Brad, but you aren't an engineer. Your guess is as good as the next bum's. I think we can all agree though that there are no free lunches, and different designs have benefits and trade offs. Anyone reading your posts might think "hell, I'm just going to throw out my second ring for more power", without realizing what they give up, be it heat transfer from the piston, compression, engine longevity, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very seriously doubt u would ever notice a longevity difference between the two but I guarantee ull notice a power difference. 2 rings is stihl propaganda.

Why stop with 2? :)

IMG_6289-L.jpg

Trees and skidders don't care how many rings your piston has. The saws around here die a crushing death. Very few are worn out.

I am doing an 028 for a neighbor piston is good and so is the cylinder but the compression is 118# the saw will not start. So the low compression led me to suggest he buy a set of rings and I guess he is on that plan now. I am in hopes that new rings will raise compression enough so it will run once more. I was looking at that 2 ring piston last night and wondering why It had 2 of them , and if they were really necessary. I always worry when it comes time to put the new rings on that I will break one..... if I do maybe she will be a one ringer ha ha. Great information Brad and well explained. Jeff

Back